Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
On The Edge Of Adhesion
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother had his AU XLS V8 ute put in for its 100k service and a new key cut (he only got one when he bought it) at the local Ford dealership. He got charged the grand sum of $766.5. Of this price $220 to get a key cut and coded (labour inc, but no fob), and $208 for spark plugs. Can any one tell me how they (Ford) can justify charging such large amounts of money for things like spark plugs and a key?

·
100% Speeding (when safe)
471 Posts
Should've cost about $30, thats all they charge at a key shop i went to in Adelaide. And that was with the coded gadget inside the key! Charge $10 without the code on a tibbe lock key. $200 is crazy!!

·
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane
3,293 Posts
keys do cost alot but not that much and they should have a fob with them. as for the spark plugs they must do something special or did they think he has a V16 under the hood? ripped off i would say.

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
No comment on the cost of the key, other than to say that it sounds about right. As for the spark plugs, believe it or not, they are cheap. $208 every 100,000km = $2 per 1000km = $0.02 per 10km or $0.002 per km (I think).

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have an AU Series 3 V8. The Owners Manual states " change spark plugs at 150.000km's" Not at 100.000kms as you did.
Plugs are Platinum or Iridium and cost about $25each. SupaCheap had them on special for $20each, so that would be $160, just for the plugs. Then labour on top.
How you change the back two on either side must be fun ! not.
I would question the charge for the keys. That seems excessive.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have an AU Series 3 V8. The Owners Manual states " change spark plugs at 150.000km's" Not at 100.000kms as you did.
Plugs are Platinum or Iridium and cost about $25each. SupaCheap had them on special for $20each, so that would be $160, just for the plugs. Then labour on top.
How you change the back two on either side must be fun ! not.
I would question the charge for the keys. That seems excessive.

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
The retail price for an AU II/III BA key is $104.50, and it cannot be programmed unless you have the two originals, otherwise Ford will need to plug it into the computer and recode it.

It amazes me how the dealer can charge $95.50 to plug the motorvehicle into the computer! (Me thinks i need to change my line of work)

As for the spark plugs, the price is about SPOT on.

·
Movin!
2,924 Posts
My last car was a V6 Holden Rodeo, and during a service asked to get another spare key as the other one i lost. I was told it was $40 for a new blank key, and another $35 to have it cut, and this was the only way of getting a spare.

I tried the local shopping centre calling their bluff, and got 3 spares cut for under $12!!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Keys with unique cutting, Tibbie or internal cut, and embedded immobiliser chips are expensive. You should also consider your self lucky that you could get one off the shelf. Some manufactures, Mercedes, VW/Audi spring to mind, have it so you can only order the key from the dealer. No copies available and impossible to code to the vehicle unless done by the dealer.

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
casrms1450 said:
Pretty sure I paid $15 each a few months back for the iridiums after changing to gt-40p heads. I almost passed out at spending $120 for plugs :p One of them was DOA as well . . .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts