Ford Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know if my brakes are a problem or not! The wheels will not lock up (skid) even on wet roads when the discs are cold, in fact never. The XA pulls up OK but nothing like it should I imagine.

Am I expecting to much from old style brakes?

Do your brakes skid the wheels?

The set-up is a XA 351 sedan,
The brakes comprise of:
New DBA rotors front and rear
Recon XG girlock front calipers
Recon PBR stock rear calipers
Bendix advance pads all round
Second hand XC master cylinder and booster
New brake tubing and hoses

The manifold vacuum idles at 7 inches and up to 22 inches on deceleration.
The pedal is firm and doesn’t slowly fall to the floor

What else can I do?

Thanks

· Registered
72 Posts
Your engine is not providing enough vaccuum to operate the brake booster effectively.If it has an aggressive cam profile, this is normal. Fit an auxillary brake vaccuum tank.
If you have a street style cam,this will produce sufficient vaccuum to operate the booster.You have to look elsewhere for your lack of vaccuum.
Check engine condition.
Cheers.

· Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
460BBXW said:
Your engine is not providing enough vaccuum to operate the brake booster effectively.If it has an aggressive cam profile, this is normal. Fit an auxillary brake vaccuum tank.
If you have a street style cam,this will produce sufficient vaccuum to operate the booster.You have to look elsewhere for your lack of vaccuum.
Check engine condition.
Cheers.
I have driven around with a vacuum guage hooked up, during a gearing-down going down a hill the vacuum reads 22+ inches when I apply the brakes with maximum pressure still crap, doesnt this eliminate vacuum issues?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.