Ford Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it is pulled out, the key no longer turns the lock. The key turns but nothing happens.

Hand Automotive tire Finger Rim Thumb

Hand Finger Gas Thumb Nail

Here's a short video demonstration (no audio):

The door in my Transit stopped opening after getting a new key made. It could've been broken before as well, as I've only had the vehicle for a short period and i think I've only used the key fob since i got it. Anyway, after pulling the lock system out of the door i played around with it for a bit and after pushing this metal piece back in, the key suddenly worked. I don't know why it was pulled out or if it pulled itself out or if it was installed wrong. Is it broken? Does it need replacement? My local Ford Dealership does not know and says they cannot find out because Ford does not disclose that kind of information to them. They recommend buying a new lock (!!!). I don't even know if there is something wrong with it, why would I throw it away and replace it!? What a joke. So I'm hoping internet can help me figure this one out. It's a Ford Transit from 2016.

·
Super Moderator
23,664 Posts
Would the Ford parts dept not let you see a new barrel to compare against your own one and see if anything different or missing ? But it may not be the problem , may possibly be more likely to be the lock assembly it fits into .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that was my idea as well. I've just been talking to my local Ford dealership and they say they don't have another barrel that i can compare with. They also don't know where I can find one to compare. One guy eventually suggested going to scrap yard and seeing if they had one laying around, so i'm gonna give that a shot although i doubt they will have it. I called Ford again today and they (again) suggested i buy a new barrel for... wait for it... 130 EUR (about $150 USD).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
110£ is about 130€ so that's the same as ford offers. But regardless, i would still like to figure out what/if anything is wrong with it before i throw it away. It works just fine, 2 mechanics have looked at it (one from ford) and as far as they can tell, it functions as it should. But nobody can tell me what that metal piece is there for, or why it was out. I was thinking perhaps it's some kind of lock disabler system but i wouldn't know how it got triggered or if it came out by itself or what. Perhaps this is a common thing with car lock barrels? I don't know where to turn to find out more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just assumed Ford used one common lock barrel between their models but maybe I'm wrong! I'll look into it. Thanks for the advice. I'll update here if i figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
23,664 Posts
Look forward to the answer . The scrap yard is a good idea , you can strip the door trim , check the lock set up and barrel and see if fault is apparent compared to yours

1 - 10 of 10 Posts