Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Donald wants to go easy on his tweeting , or better still , stop .

President Donald Trump claimed Americans split the atom, invented the telephone and won the World Wars - managing to annoy New Zealand, Scotland, and the rest of the UK in one bizarre tweet

• US President Donald Trump's latest tweet was laden with falsehoods (Image: Getty Images)

Donald Trump has tried to give Americans credit for a host of extraordinary feats - including inventions that are actually British.
In a wild tweet, the US president is quoted claiming Americans were behind marvels ranging from inventing the telephone, to splitting the atom, and winning the World Wars.
The tweet from the official White House account laden with falsehoods provoked widespread mockery.
The telephone was famously invented by Scottish engineer Alexander Graham Bell, and New Zealander Ernest Rutherford split the atom.
And British eyebrows were swiftly raised over the president's claims America won both wars.

Inventor Alexander Graham Bell (Image: Getty Images)RELATED ARTICLES
'
Twitter was quick to pick apart the extraordinary claims.

Although Bell is sometimes described as a 'Scottish-born American inventor' - Edinburgh claims the native as its son.

"Umm Donnie.... Bell was born in Scotland and then became Canadian. He invented the telephone...." one user tweeted.
Canada has about as much claim to the Scottish great's work as the US - seeing as Bell devised the first telephone while splitting his time between his adopted home in Ontario, and Boston, Massachusetts.
Kiwis were not pleased at the attempt to swipe credit for their Nobel Prize-winning hero.
"Ernest Rutherford, a New Zealander, split the atom thank you very much," wrote Francis Glenday on Twitter.
The scientist carried out the feat at a British university.
But the achievement is so widely acknowledged as New Zealand's the country carries his face on its $100 banknotes.
In the tweet posted on the official White House Twitter account yesterday, Mr Trump also claimed American invented the Internet and won the two World Wars, prompting ridicule.
The falsehoods in the tweet provoked widespread disbelief even amid a backdrop of erratic Trump tweets, as he continues his daily campaign of accusing media outlets and rivals of spreading 'fake news'.

Bell is sometimes described as a 'Scottish-born American inventor' (Image: Print Collector/Getty
The tweet said: "Americans harnessed electricity, split the atom, and gave the world the telephone and the internet.
"We settled the Wild West, won two World Wars, landed American Astronauts on the Moon—and one day soon, we will plant our flag on Mars!"— President @realDonaldTrump."
One Twitter user responded: "The Internet is English, the phone is Scottish, electricity was harnessed by an Englishman, the atom was first split at the University of Manchester, you used Nazi scientists to put you on the Moon and you didn't win two World Wars alone."

It is well documented that the US was a latecomer - though very welcome - boost to Britain and Allied forces in both WWI and WWII.
But the Soviets can lay just as strong a claim as the Americans in playing a leading role in ending the Second World War.
As the catch-phrase goes, the war was won with 'British intelligence, American steel and Russian blood."

·
Super Moderator
20,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trump is not as good a communicator as he is a president. His ratings would improve tremendously if he would just stay off of Twitter.
He often comes across really badly . I like him , pity his Scottish mother wasn't around to have a word in his ear hole and straighten him out .

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
That was a 348. It was a 58 Impala. I bought it from another guy when I was stationed in Germany. I shipped it back to USA when I came back but when driving on the freeway, it would pump oil into the cooling system and the differential was noisy.. I was being reassigned to California and driving from Michigan ( where I was from originally) wouldn't work. I didn't have time to fix it and bought a 59 Olds. I really liked the Impala.

·
Super Moderator
1,414 Posts
I had a 348 in a '59 Impala, 2dr, sport coupe! I drove it around Phoenix, where I was stationed, and home to Pasadena on long weekends. Mine ran like new, loved it, but sold it when I left for Vietnam. That's another one that got away!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts