Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I had the unfortunate experience of someone breaking into the XR EL the other week and hence have damaged the lock on the door. I think it is only the lock cylinder as the car will still lock with the remote.
Has anyone ever replaced the lock cylinder?. Any tips, suggestions re replacement???
Are there better locks available??
Cheers
Stu

I

·
0 Posts
Stu,
I had the same thing happen to me when I had the AUXR I got a panelbeater to remove the lock totally & cover the hole & repaint, Whole thing cost about $200.00, I could not believe that all they did was hit the lock with a pin punch & the doors just open??The only problem is that if the battery in the remote goes flat you are [email protected]#$d. But its worth the risk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ian TE50

Thanks for the info. Will probably get the lock fixed this time($140), but if it happens again will try your option.
Cheers

·
Registered
118 Posts
hi guys
the best way around this problem is to fit a rear door handle on to the front dooor that way you cover the lock hole up but if your remote ever stops working you are stuffed cause you cant get into the car
but it stop the barstards breaking into your car

·
Rail Rider
1,248 Posts
Just replace the battery in the remote, it doesn't loose it's memory. But if the car battery...well if that's flat you won't get anywhere anyway..heh

Or you could go through the boot?

W

·
0 Posts
NOPE ITS NOT OVER YET (and theres no keyhole in the boot either )
Just finished fitting this set up to a AU TS you can get around the flat battery deal
by putting a remote - and + wire some where on the car out of the way .
you can then put an external 12 volt on via leads (if the car batt fails ) and your back in bussiness .
only draw back!!!! dont attemp to put a remote supply onto the cars batt if the alarm is going (good bye alarm , ive done one already )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts