Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to change my drive belts today since its been WAY too long. My car is squeeling like a little piggy. Anyone do this lately? How hard was it for you?

·
Registered
83 Posts
the hardest part is loosening/tightening the tensioner bolt thing on the alternator. Its just hard to get at. Other then that just be sure that the grooves are matched up properly on the pulleys and its not that hard.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Otter, thank you for your help. I like to know how to do things myself. I try not to depend 100% on someone else.

·
Probe Member
9 Posts
Well I have the 2 ltr engine and it was quite a bit of work to change both belts. The problem is with the alternator (if I recall correctly) where I had climb under the car the loosen the pivot bolt before I could use the adjuster bolt. I broke the adjuster bolt and had to order a replacement. It was also difficult getting my belts on the lower engine pully as the clearance between it and the body work was just about a 1/4 inch.

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
Working on anything under the hood leaves aboot 1/4 inch of space.

I need small girly hands...that's the solution...

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trey, Im a girl...but I dont think I have small girly hands. heh. Well, the belts were changed a few days ago...took about 20 mins to do both belts. If the car were a v6, I would have almost no room. But it wasnt too hard. My car is happy, although the old belts were in pretty good shape...just getting old.

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
The GT belts are pretty easy if you know how to go aboot it. Takes aboot five minutes.

(aboot is so cool to spell. :hy: )

B

·
0 Posts
Replacing the belts if pretty basic, requiring only basic tools. The difficulty is getting access to some of the bolts, particularly the alternator tension bolts.

As for squeaky belts. . . That does not necessitate new belts. Inspect your belts for cracks, tears or fraying. . . It you don't see any "defects" simply TIGHTEN up your existing belts. . . .

Enjoy.

·
Champ
40 Posts
Exactly,
I did the same thing. Thought I needed new ones, bought them, tightened the old ones and they were fine. Then a few months later I swapped the new ones in anyway. Don't ask me why, I just like new stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts