Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
What I cant understand is why they brought up the 'eco vandalism' in the article, are they trying to incite that kind of crap here?? They could of atleast talk about the load capacities and towing ability of them, instead of just saying "We'll have the F250 and F350 with a variety of petrol and diesel engines, capped by a 7.3 litre turbo diesel with 187kW"

The 6 speed manual version (which we do get according to www.ford.com.au ) has 205Kw, but has over [email protected]

·
Formerly J-type
1,629 Posts
I thought the artical was a bit limited as well, nothing about interior specs etc...
Bit of a hash job if you ask me.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
J-type said:
I thought the artical was a bit limited as well, nothing about interior specs etc...
Bit of a hash job if you ask me.
That is what I thought as well. I think this will be a real market winner for Ford as there seem to be plenty of demand for this type of truck.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
HSE2 said:
That is what I thought as well. I think this will be a real market winner for Ford as there seem to be plenty of demand for this type of truck.
I reckon you're dead right Ian. In our company we could use these babies everywhere. Instead our boys drive around in useless (for the task) Isuzu trucks that are too big for some jobs. Commercial sales should be great for the F-Series I reckon..

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Take 1 7.3 Powerstroke add 4" exhaust, free flow air filter, 3 stage EPROM(chipped) and propane injection(gas!). Mix well and beprepared for 400HP and 14 second 1/4 times. For an Auto Excursion! For more power add bigger intercooler, bigger Turbo and 4 1/2" exhaust. No wonder the 9" diff was considered unsuitable for the SuperDuty. I think the F250HD uses the Sterling(FORD) 10.25' rear diff while the F350 uses a Dana 80. With 3.73:1 and 4.10:1 diffs wheel spin is a problem with that much grunt. I have seen claimed torque figures of 700-1000ftlbs @2000rpm. Stock is [email protected]

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
Because I couldn't see myself driving around in something like a Tarago, I said to the missus "If we have any more kid's this is what we'll be driving." :p
mmmm....7.3L turbo deisel..
I wonder how many kids I can fit across the backseat?;)
Russell.

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
J-type said:
Pitty it is not as good looking as the F-150 range.:rolleyes:
I'm with you there J-type. Even though I don't mind the look of the F250/350 the F150 is more intergrated/smooth.I'll have an F150 lightning thanks. :nuts:
Russell.
I'll have this one please, for carting the family around. :cool:

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Anyone know why they stopped importing them in the early 1990s? They seem to have been pretty popular, I still see plenty of them around getting used by trades people. I dont think ive ever seen one that doesnt have LPG though....

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
FTEfan said:
Take 1 7.3 Powerstroke add 4" exhaust, free flow air filter, 3 stage EPROM(chipped) and propane injection(gas!). Mix well and beprepared for 400HP and 14 second 1/4 times. For an Auto Excursion! For more power add bigger intercooler, bigger Turbo and 4 1/2" exhaust. No wonder the 9" diff was considered unsuitable for the SuperDuty. I think the F250HD uses the Sterling(FORD) 10.25' rear diff while the F350 uses a Dana 80. With 3.73:1 and 4.10:1 diffs wheel spin is a problem with that much grunt. I have seen claimed torque figures of 700-1000ftlbs @2000rpm. Stock is [email protected]
Apparently a TV show in the US did a feature on the 7.3L Diesel F-Series, they added a chip, boost controller and a airfilter and it was making around 750ft/lbs to the wheels, which is about 1200Nm at the engine :eek::eek::eek:
You could tow the Nimitz with that kind of power :D:D

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Martin said:
Anyone know why they stopped importing them in the early 1990s? They seem to have been pretty popular, I still see plenty of them around getting used by trades people. I dont think ive ever seen one that doesnt have LPG though....
I think the last part of your post might have something to do with it. I think they stopped because of the fear of increasing running costs and the fact that people were moving away from big cars. The pannel van died several years later and the tradies moved towards small engined trucks

·
Registered
253 Posts
Another reason I heard was that the Police and Ambo Depts were looking at other options to the F150 and gov depts were getting poor resales on them.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Talked to 2 seperate Ambos the other day, 1 ACT the other NSW, both were driving the Mercedes Sprinter vans. Both guys complained about lack of power from the vans and loved the GMC 6.5L turbo diesel power. When I told them about the F250 7.3 they both wanted one.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
i thought in the early 90s they only sold the f100s ??

·
Australian Forte Member
50 Posts
My brother had a 79/80 351 F100 x nsw cops.Mate it went like stink.My missus used to take it shopping she loved it but didn't like fuel economy and made me buy a 253 vb sle instead.I had to sell my 351 XY Fairmont to get it too, that realy hurt but now i own two fords .

·
2,153 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The GMC ambos were also imported by a private company however Holden made the mistake of giveing warranty coverage to the heaps of dung. At least the new Mercs are proper ambulance package vans, not the 4wd ones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts