Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Green Falcon Driver
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey lads....

I have a 2.5 Inch Mandrel Bent exhaust fitted to my auto IL6 EL.. Im really happy with the sound but around 2,000 RPM it has a terrible droning sound... (like when im travelling up hills for extended periods).

I think my resonator has been removed? How can i tell? Any advice to help me?

Thanks Pat
 

·
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
the same thing happened when i got a mandrel 2.5inch system.. around 2000rpm starts droning, although i dont mind so much cause its a v8 and sounds good.. not too annoying.
odds on it will have no resonator.. get one and your drone noise should go.
 

·
T5 Expert Operator
Joined
·
6,540 Posts
yeah rsonator is the muffler like thing first thing after the car. IMO to get a 2.5 mandrel setup, i'd keep the resonator and muffler configuration of the stock setup, that way you get flow without the dodgy droaning.
 

·
BSR Field Agent
Joined
·
578 Posts
EL-PHAT, i have the same problem with my ED. Mate the best option I can offer you is to turn up the stereo.... You can put the rear resinator back on but you will lose the exhaust note.....

Another option is to put on a Hot Dog style resinator which may help!!!
 

·
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Nipper said:
EL-PHAT, i have the same problem with my ED. Mate the best option I can offer you is to turn up the stereo.... You can put the rear resinator back on but you will lose the exhaust note.....

Another option is to put on a Hot Dog style resinator which may help!!!

You dont even need an expensive stereo if your as old as nipper...... at his age elevator musik is too loud :D

The solution is staring you guys right in the face..... trade in the farty 6 for a beefy 8 .... then atleast the drone sounds nice. hehe :D
 

·
300+rwkw DC LTD Member
Joined
·
1,622 Posts
I agree with eb 5litre.

IMO I'd put a resonator back in (it's right under the rear bumper) you would not notice any power change. Generaly Crapadore drivers remove them for the noise! My bro did it to his 253.
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
2 ways to get rid of droning are:


if you have removed the rear resonator and have no exhaust protruding from the car the droning is produced by the exhaust noise using inside of the rear bumper as a concert hall.

your choices are re-route the exhaust down from the bumper so it points to the ground or out to the side. your other choice is get a straight piece of exhaust and have it added to your exhaust so it pokes out the back of the car. you will loose the drone to some extent plus keep the note, the downside is you will have more outside noise.

to see what I mean put your head in a bucket and start talking then slowly remove your head while talking. the note and style of your voice will change, this is the same effect as the exhaust on your car.
 

·
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
THE DOCTOR said:
2 ways to get rid of droning are:


if you have removed the rear resonator and have no exhaust protruding from the car the droning is produced by the exhaust noise using inside of the rear bumper as a concert hall.

your choices are re-route the exhaust down from the bumper so it points to the ground or out to the side. your other choice is get a straight piece of exhaust and have it added to your exhaust so it pokes out the back of the car. you will loose the drone to some extent plus keep the note, the downside is you will have more outside noise.

to see what I mean put your head in a bucket and start talking then slowly remove your head while talking. the note and style of your voice will change, this is the same effect as the exhaust on your car.

Does Mrs.Doc make you wear a bucket on your head often ?? :D
 

·
BSR Field Agent
Joined
·
578 Posts
Doc, the droning from my system appears to be from the fact that it is a straight through system. It only has one small muffler with 2.5inch pipe the tip is a 3inch extension which protrudes out the back of the rear skirt. Drone is real bad under big load.......

Hey an EB_5 litre you must ride in some sh it hot elevators.....
And what's this old bullsh it!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Nipper said:
Doc, the droning from my system appears to be from the fact that it is a straight through system. It only has one small muffler with 2.5inch pipe the tip is a 3inch extension which protrudes out the back of the rear skirt. Drone is real bad under big load.......

Hey an EB_5 litre you must ride in some sh it hot elevators.....
And what's this old bullsh it!!!!!!!!!!!

Aww sorry nipper... i didnt see you there.. hehe:D

I could have sworn i saw a bowlers hat on your parcel shelf.. :D

BTW seeing as you work near where i live.. when are we gonna have a drag race.... atleast then when i'm in front you can hear a real exhaust HAHAHAHAHA :D
 

·
BSR Field Agent
Joined
·
578 Posts
EB_5 Litre' what you mean the aero dynamic Wagon..........
Geee's mate I might as well race a Taxi..............

Nipper.........
 

·
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Nipper said:
EB_5 Litre' what you mean the aero dynamic Wagon..........
Geee's mate I might as well race a Taxi..............

Nipper.........

LOL :D :D :D

A taxi eh??... well i guess if we were racing for money i would be TAKING it from you ;) ;) ;)
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
eb_5litre said:



Does Mrs.Doc make you wear a bucket on your head often ?? :D
only when we role play. I wear a leopard skin g-string and have a kitchen glove pulled over my head so I look like a chicken.:D
 

·
T5 Expert Operator
Joined
·
6,540 Posts
Nipper said:
EB_5 Litre' what you mean the aero dynamic Wagon..........
Geee's mate I might as well race a Taxi..............

Nipper.........
LOL aye leave wagons alone, actually mines very aerodynamic it's got a tailgate spoiler.:D :D :D :D
 

·
Green Falcon Driver
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll stick my digi camera under there tommorow and i'll post the pics back here.....

I seriously have no idea what a resonator does or if i've still got mine.

I just gotta get rid of the droaning. It vibrates the car and hurts my ears on occasions.
 

·
T5 Expert Operator
Joined
·
6,540 Posts
Okies for the EF/EL the resonator is the first muffler like thing after the cat, then theres another 2 mufflers after that. The last one being in the bumper this is what the stock setup is.
IMO if you want to eliminate droaning keep the 21/2 for exhuast flow but add the resonator and 2 mufflers.
 

·
T5 Expert Operator
Joined
·
6,540 Posts
EL-Phat said:
I'll stick my digi camera under there tommorow and i'll post the pics back here.....

I seriously have no idea what a resonator does or if i've still got mine.

I just gotta get rid of the droaning. It vibrates the car and hurts my ears on occasions.
Mate i should be able to tell you with the pic your goin to take, if not when uni starts i'll show on my baby where the resonator and two mufflers sit...
 

·
ST170ish
Joined
·
610 Posts
3inch drone

My ute drones heaps too(3" from main collector back) Its real in your ear at 1800-2000rpm with the windows down. The original system(sounded like a "6cyl")was 2 1/4" I had the resonator removed and it droned...and still sounded like a "6". It also caused a bad resonation at 70-120kmh under load(rear firewall was moving like a subwoofer!) With the 3"pipe it doesnt do it...just drones hell louder!This may sound silly but Can you get 3"resonators? As it will affect my subs heaps.Has anyone actually measured the frequency of the droning mine sounds around about 80Hz. Ford must've had fun trying get the original system so bloody quiet....mouse quiet
 

·
Champion Goose
Joined
·
398 Posts
If you can't get them commercially (which i think u can considering all the ricers that have 3-5" pipes etc on them), any engineering firm worth their salt could rustle up a resonator of sorts for ya. Considering that you have a ute, why don't ya just go side pipes (or dumpers though legality may be in question)???? Great to look at and if that fails then just pop your original resonator back on and buy an 8 if ya want the sound.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top