Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given the keys to one of my mates VX SS to try it out.I have not driven one of the latest 220 kw Falcon's to make a comparison and can only really compare to my twin turbo awd Subaru.The interior was pretty average but that has been pointed out before.The ride and handling in my books was bloody good.I pushed it pretty hard for a big vehicle round some country roads and it was no prob.A lot quiter than the Sub inside the cabin and the handling was never going to be like the AWD but it was no slug round a corner.I did 2 or 3 hard throttle starts without purposely frying the tyres and found off the mark the car was pretty quick but not as good as i was expecting.The turbo Sub feels pretty close but mid range overtaking in the holden is excellent.Giving it full throttle at 100 kph is awesome,in fact it was so good I did it quite a few times.In this bracket it really shines and makes the Sub feel tired.The real downside area is up in the rev's.I held it hard and wound it out in the rev's and there was nothing up there.You can really hear it whinging at 5000 and at 5500 me mate was starting to swear at me and it was pointless anyway as it didn't generate any more power.At 4500 to 5000 the Sub is just starting to get going and there is extreme power that builds hard as the rev's build with no protesting from the engine right through to 6000 or more if you are willing in fact the engine takes on a smooth free revving sound and feel as opposed to the VX. Everything aside I thought the car was a pretty good package and the owners would probably be pretty happy but it's not me.I need to drive a 220 kw Falcon now and get a good comparison.The new OHC V8 for the Falcon should give us a good free revving car.
 

·
BSR Field Agent
Joined
·
578 Posts
I trust you disinfected yourself once you got out....
You never know what can can catch from one of those.... lol..

Nipper....
 

·
Aus ls1 *********
Joined
·
89 Posts
vx ss

Did the ss have an aftermarket exhaust or was it stock?
I know that the breathing department suffers big time with the stock exhaust.
Just for yours and others info, the exhaust on a LS1 is the same system that Holden use on a supercharged V6 :(
I noticed as soon as I had the new pipes fitted that I had a big improvement over the standard system right thru the rev range but most noticably above 4800 rpm. It pulls like a 15 y/o boy on steriods above 4800 with the new pipes compared to when I had the stockies.

Glad you like the car and I think it should be compulsory to drive both hard before making comparisons.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: vx ss

HRT 8 said:
Did the ss have an aftermarket exhaust or was it stock?
I know that the breathing department suffers big time with the stock exhaust.
Just for yours and others info, the exhaust on a LS1 is the same system that Holden use on a supercharged V6 :(
I noticed as soon as I had the new pipes fitted that I had a big improvement over the standard system right thru the rev range but most noticably above 4800 rpm. It pulls like a 15 y/o boy on steriods above 4800 with the new pipes compared to when I had the stockies.

Glad you like the car and I think it should be compulsory to drive both hard before making comparisons.
The car was stock standard.If that is the case I would definately whack on an exhaust.I'm now waiting for someone to hand me the keys to a 220 Falcon.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nipper said:
I trust you disinfected yourself once you got out....
You never know what can can catch from one of those.... lol..

Nipper....
LOL I came straight home and read a Ford magazine and logged in to Ford forums to put me back on the right track.:D :D
 

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
I was crossing the road in the dark last night and heard a beuatiful V8 Rumble coming down the road. I stopped and looked to see what it was....
...
...
...
..
VU Ute ! 5.7L... and 15" Steelies.... looked like ****., but made a nice note...

Most of the the 5.7L's had a non existant/quite note.... But this one was nice.. reaal nice..
 

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
I am too scared to drive a VX SS.... when I drove a VT Exec I was nearly assimilated into their collective. I wanted to trade my AUII on one!!!

But my blood was too blue to be assimilated.....So I just decided to put up with the rough as guts AU suspension and noise instead of the smooth and quiet comodore ride :D

NO DONT KILL ME I AM STILL ON YOUR SIDE! :D
 

·
Australian TE50 AU1 Member
Joined
·
194 Posts
When in the market for a V8 I tested a friends VTII SS and then an AU1 XR8, with185kw. I found the SS to be exactly what motoring magazines have stated, powerful, quick in a straight line, but when it comes to cornering the steering it was wooden and non-communicative. The XR8 on the other hand was fantastic, not as quick, but cornering in the thing was much more enjoyable. I will guarantee that if you test the 220kw XR8, you will be left in no doubt which is the better car. As for looks, obviously it's a matter of personel taste, I drool over the XR8, but the SS just looks like another Commodore with a few extra bits.

On the other hand, a friend has just bought a HSV XU6 and I must admit it looks very mean and impressive.
 

·
Champion Goose
Joined
·
398 Posts
The difference in appearance between an XR and a Forte is a lot more evident than the difference between an SS and an Executive. (guess that's an advantage of an ugly base model-more room for improvement, but then again the Commy doesn't exactly impress me either).
 

·
Australian Torana Member
Joined
·
46 Posts
The panelbeater doing my Tori just bought a new 220kW XR8. I had a sit in it the other day, and personally I prefer the SS interior. I dunno, the XR's interior just seemed a little to :sleeping: for my liking. The exhaust note was another matter entirely (although it had an aftermarket exhaust)- The thing sounded NASTY! :rocking: He's gonna take me for a run in it soon, and hopefully I can make it down to the next LS1.com cruise and I might be able to bludge a ride in a VX SS. Should be good to be able to make a comparison (if only from a passengers point of view :damack: )
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
hmm... personal choice or not?

Well while we are on the comparison topic my mates dad has always driven a falcon for years and he does about 1000kms a week. Well someone told him to get a commodore to try something different so he traded in the EL to a VT series II. Anyway he hated it completely, he reckons his falcon just felt like a better ride all round. He crashed the VT and was lent an AU while his VT was getting fixed and he didn't want to give it back it was so much better. So he sold the VT and got a AU II futura.

And also my uncle bought a VT and got ride of it after 2 weeks because it felt real "tinny" and paid $1000 to a dealer and got a 92 BMW. He says its a real improvement even though its 7 years older than the VT.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TeeHee said:
When in the market for a V8 I tested a friends VTII SS and then an AU1 XR8, with185kw. I found the SS to be exactly what motoring magazines have stated, powerful, quick in a straight line, but when it comes to cornering the steering it was wooden and non-communicative. The XR8 on the other hand was fantastic, not as quick, but cornering in the thing was much more enjoyable. I will guarantee that if you test the 220kw XR8, you will be left in no doubt which is the better car. As for looks, obviously it's a matter of personel taste, I drool over the XR8, but the SS just looks like another Commodore with a few extra bits.

On the other hand, a friend has just bought a HSV XU6 and I must admit it looks very mean and impressive.
I will test the 220 Falcon if i could only find one to test.I've got 2 mates with VX SS's.Another has just picked up an AU XR8 but it is not the 220.I love my Ford's but i had to give my mates car credit where it was due.If his oil pump had **** on me i would have been crapping having just taken it to redline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Re: hmm... personal choice or not?

Sideways_EF said:
Well while we are on the comparison topic my mates dad has always driven a falcon for years and he does about 1000kms a week. Well someone told him to get a commodore to try something different so he traded in the EL to a VT series II. Anyway he hated it completely, he reckons his falcon just felt like a better ride all round. He crashed the VT and was lent an AU while his VT was getting fixed and he didn't want to give it back it was so much better. So he sold the VT and got a AU II futura.

And also my uncle bought a VT and got ride of it after 2 weeks because it felt real "tinny" and paid $1000 to a dealer and got a 92 BMW. He says its a real improvement even though its 7 years older than the VT.
We all have stories like that, some the complete opposite :)
My brother once owned an XA/XB? GT 351 and all his mates were Ford fans/owners. He has owned Holdens ever since. Now drives a VTII SS and is totally happy with it... because he doesnt expect BMW quality from a car half the price ;) He hasnt had any issues with it... yet :)
His best mate is a life long Ford fan and has all kinds of Ford posters, model cars, etc (mainly GTHO, etc) all over his house. He often bagged Holdens and was a true blue Ford fan. Until the AU. He got rid of his Tickford enhanced Fairmont (ED I think) and got a VTII Clubsport M6. He absolutely loves it and he test drove XR8s and a TE50 as well. After more than a year he hasnt had any problems and thinks its a great car.
My dad owned about 12-13 Holdens until his last 2 cars (Mercs). In the 70s they had a bad Ford experience with a Falcon ute and the dealer shafted them so he never looked at another one again.
So yeah, it goes both ways....
 

·
Australian TE50 AU1 Member
Joined
·
194 Posts
I agree Rick76, it is a matter of taste, that's why we have FF and LS1, to cater for different tastes. I'm hoping that the AV will appeal to the taste of more people, to turn around those sales figures!. It all means of course that both Fords and Holdens will get better and that is a good thing for us rev heads.
 

·
Aus ls1 *********
Joined
·
89 Posts
I think teeHee is on the money.
The better each company makes it product the better off the customer will be. Competition between them is irrelevant. Its the outcome that counts to the consumers, and helps us get a superior product.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Re: Re: hmm... personal choice or not?

Rick76 said:

because he doesnt expect BMW quality from a car half the price ;)
arhh he had a VN before the VT and he expected just a little bit better than that not bmw quality :p


Rick76 said:

He hasnt had any issues with it... yet :)


give him time............:D
 

·
Chromed Member
Joined
·
1,810 Posts
VX SS GEN III

I drove one today (at work, so they made me do it;) ) and was not impressed by the power AT ALL.

Personally Ive driven XR6's that have more punch and feel than the 5.7. Very overrated engine in my books.

Maybe the auto sucked all the fun out of it?

Still had nice sound to it:D
 

·
Aus ls1 *********
Joined
·
89 Posts
No offence Botch but that is the opposite to what most who drive them say; In stock form, Goes alright but sounds like crap (****)
In saying that, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and yours is an interesting one.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: VX SS GEN III

botch said:
I drove one today (at work, so they made me do it;) ) and was not impressed by the power AT ALL.

Personally Ive driven XR6's that have more punch and feel than the 5.7. Very overrated engine in my books.

Maybe the auto sucked all the fun out of it?

Still had nice sound to it:D
The one i drove didn't get off the mark as good as i was expecting it to so was disapointing there but midrange power was real good.Top end was crappy tho HRT 8 say's an exhaust helps there.Did you take it for a decent drive.I drove another mates VS Senator 185 quite a while ago and i found that pretty slow.At the time i was driving a Cosworth Sierra as my only car so the Senator felt quite pathetic.The VX is a major improvement over that VS Senator i can tell you .
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top