Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I am forever cleaning my black BA XR8. Not that i mind, i acutally quite enjoy it - The first cruuze after its nice and clean and shiny is worth it in my books!

My question to everyone is what is YOUR tricks for drying after a wash... Is there anything YOU do to give it that extra shiny look on a regular basis? Do you polish after every wash? (phew)

Interested to here everyones ideas.

·
FF Town Sheriff
1,165 Posts
I make sure it beads at all times, and give it a good chamios and thats it. Keeps it looking good and dust free for at least 3-4 days in nice weather, then come Saturday again, it's wash time

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
I do the same as Philbie, wash it, make sure its beading (or polish it if it isnt) and then give it a good chamios. As soon as thats done I take it for a quick spin around the block and chamios off any drips that have appeared. I then give some areas a quick wipe with a dry, clean cloth nappy then stand back ad admire it for 10 minutes :s6:

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
then wash it agian after you have drove it down to the shops

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
My sequance is as follow's
wash (in shade in the evening or early morning) with Mequire's wash gel,
chamois of with an Enki chamois(synthetic),
and wah lah, beautifull,
Today I got some Mequire's paint cleaner and done the car then used the wet look polish and then Gold Class wax and it is BRILLENT it's taking out swirl's and some deep scrathes, the best stuff I've used so far.

·
You can do eeeit!
1,495 Posts
Chamois dry, followed by either Meguiar's Gold Class and or QuikDetailer. Then again the car is usually detailed about 3-4 times a week anyways.

·
Hanging Around
1,209 Posts
Tikfd6, dont the towels leave bits of towel/cottony stuff on the car, or is it my Mrs that cant wash them properly?

Dark horse, try a product called Final Inspection by Meguiars, you cant get it over the counter, but if you go to a detailing place that use Meguiars, you can get a 5L container for around $100.

It is similar to the instant detailer, but a lot better, and lasts a lot longer. Its more of a polish than a spray on solution
This is the only polish I use on my cars, gives them an awesome appearence.
It also cleans the glass extremely well and makes the water bead off when it rains, hardly any use for wipers.

Then if you really want give it a run over with the Gold Class Wax.

·
BSR Twin System (tm)
4,751 Posts
I'm suprised Strider hasn't found this thread yet......

:wnc:

·
Mr Photoshop
1,155 Posts
So you use a polish on the car and then a wax? Aren't they the same thing?
When going over the car with polish/wax what cloth is reccomended? The Meguiars cotton cloths?

Also what is reccomended to get the paint looking it's best for a burgandy colour?

·
BSR Twin System (tm)
4,751 Posts
CSV_LS1 said:
When going over the car with polish/wax what cloth is reccomended? The Meguiars cotton cloths?

Also what is reccomended to get the paint looking it's best for a burgandy colour?
For a dark colour (like yours) I would use Meguiars Wet Look Polish.

·
Registered
299 Posts
after washing ALWAYS take it for a quick drive to bring out and dry up all the excess water you cant get to....very important! make rust easier to form if water is sitting in her.

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
CSV_LS1 said:

Polish takes a fine layer of paint off every time. Not as much as say t-cut, but still a little bit. Should only really be done when water starts to not bead as well. Hides scratches and helps remove oxidisation

Wax protects the paint and helps keep the finish. Also helps bead water and hide fine scratches. Can be done as many times as u want. Should always wax after polishing. Cubana wax is also recomended, as synthetics tent to build up and cause a yellowing tinge to the color of the car.

As for clothes, anything cotton and clean should be right.
I havent compared synthetic and real chamois' yet, so i dont know which is better.

And remeber kiddies, dont use circular motoions when cleaning/drying/polishing/waxing your car as it causes swirl marks. Follow panels (ie on bonet go front to back, on doors go front to back, roof right-side to left-side as well as on bumpers)

:teach:

Well i learnt that from the forums last week :)

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
And someone correct me if im wrong!

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
smciner1 said:
For a dark colour (like yours) I would use Meguiars Wet Look Polish.
But use the paint cleaner before the wet look, you'd be amazed on how good this product is, I am.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts