Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, G'day to all, I've just found this site and registered (couldn't help myself).

Got a P6 LTD 351C with the infamous Carter Thermoquad stock setup. I've also got one sitting in the shed as a spare and was thinking of a dual carb setup. Is this feasible, if so where are the manifolds easily available.

Any info would be more than appreciated.

Cheers.

Dmax

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Main reason for wanting to use dual carbs is for some gain in power, wanting to build a warm street motor around 400hp, and for something different with looks etc. You are probably right in regards to practicality, but I get an idea stuck in my head and it's there til a better one comes along.

·
The Deputy Dogg.
1,862 Posts
A better idea would be, a bigger cam, weiand accelerator, electronic ignition, 750dp, extractors and an electric fuel pump just for a start.

·
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch
594 Posts
so you want to run 2 carter carbs on a street engine, hmmm crazyness especially when you consider that the thermoquad is rated at like 650 or 700cfm you would be better off running a larger single carb and manifold, if you want the looks go for a funnelweb manifold, i know of a car that runs a tunnel ram manifold with 2 465 holleys and its fairly streetable, but its only in a 1000kg car

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Dmax said:
Main reason for wanting to use dual carbs is for some gain in power, wanting to build a warm street motor around 400hp, and for something different with looks etc. You are probably right in regards to practicality, but I get an idea stuck in my head and it's there til a better one comes along.
Creativity and individulaity are one thing, but some things work and some things don't when it comes to cars.

There's some great tech tips on this site on clevo combo's that work, suggest you have a good read and take the common denominators.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It all sounds so nice. I'll tell the missus that the kids aren't going to school next year so I can get the Limo bombed, lol. Speaking to a mechanic, he was telling me that the thermoquads can be set up to the equivalent of a 980 Holley. Comments?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
STROKEXD said:
Creativity and individulaity are one thing, but some things work and some things don't when it comes to cars.
Your right, I might have to belt myself with a reality stick and think of something else for the creativity factor

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Dmax said:
It all sounds so nice. I'll tell the missus that the kids aren't going to school next year so I can get the Limo bombed, lol. Speaking to a mechanic, he was telling me that the thermoquads can be set up to the equivalent of a 980 Holley. Comments?
He could be right, I'm sure out of the box they are 870cfm approx.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello DMax.
The original Thermoquads were put on big block Chrysler motors i.e. 440's in the early 1970's. They had a flow rate of 800-900 cfm if I remember correctly. You could seek out some contacts in the US who sell kits to rejet and calibrate these carbies. There are some enthusiasts who may be able to help you find the parts you need. Try a google search.
Cheers
Craig

·
Registered
330 Posts
only reason you should stick with a thermoquad is if you had a factory stock muscle car and you needed to keep it stock.

·
ESP Man
888 Posts
There is a guy in SA who is an expert tuner on Thermoquads. I have an article here in an old Street Machine mag or similiar. You are right, they will flow big numbers. Its just that they are a more complex carb than a Holley. As a vac sec they work well when they work like they are supposed too. I have one that I will be putting on the ex Chaser I'm restoring. Can't forget the sound of the induction noise from the wide open secondaries when the cops were into it.

The SA guy has the kits and different metering rods, jets etc to tune them.

One of the SA guys or Ford clubs will know who he is, contact details etc

Two Carters will drown a 351C and I have never heard of a twin manifold for em

·
Proudly Average
1,305 Posts
ARGH!!! The Thermoquad debate again! My eyes, my eyes!!!

*twin carb setups will cost heaps and are notoriously hard to setup even with normal, functioning carbs like a Holley. If you want to get the beast going, concentrate on proven combo's - saves putting many, many thousands of dollars in to something that may or may not work - leave that to the Gary Myers/Street Machine mag types...

**twin carbs on a tuff P6 would be mega cool, if you pulled it off!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Iv'e currently got a ramlow 1000 aircleaner on top right now and the induction noise when the secondries kick in is extrordinary and almost drowns out the barky exhaust noise from the pacemaker, no balance pipe, exhaust system.

While doing some looking on the web a while ago, I saw a few articles about racers of big Mopars ditching the big Holleys for the thermoquad and gaining significant hp.

Dmax

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
Dmax
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing