Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ford Forums Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have an Xy Falcon, with a 6cyl 250 enigine, I'm just wondering if anyone has put a dual exhaust system on their Xr, Xt,Xw or Xy.

I'm thinking of buying some pacemaker extractors with dual outlets, and i alreay have an extra exhaust system of another Xy. Then mabye buy a couple of hotdog mufflers and have 1 on each side.

So can someone please tell me
-How hard it is to fit them?
-How do you run the 2nd exhaust out the opposite side, as the 1st?(if that make sense)
-What type of configuration you used?
-Is their any increase in power, or economy?
-Would it be legal?
- Or do you have any pics of your dual system?

All help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had fitted a pair of genie extractors and a dual 2" system to an xy 250 years back. I think it went better.

it sounded exactly like a V8. no holden or valiant with a twin system can come close to the sound they make. it must be something to do with the ford ports and combustion chamber.

I used berkley mufflers because that's about all there was at the time.
The extractors were not well made and were a bastard to fit and so was the exhaust system. They did last for a while though.

Great sound from that system.

·
Ford Forums Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick response Northey,
Were your exhausts coming out of each side, left and right? or just both coming out from the right side? If they were how did you get the pipes bent to come out the opposit side? where abouts was the angle???

Thanks For your Help
Tom

·
Registered
330 Posts
tomxy said:
Thanks for your quick response Northey,
Were your exhausts coming out of each side, left and right? or just both coming out from the right side? If they were how did you get the pipes bent to come out the opposit side? where abouts was the angle???

Thanks For your Help
Tom
Long time back tomxy but I think pipes changed over just after exitting extractor collectors. They were out both sides approximately where the bumper jack notches are.
The exhaust system was a dual system off a V8 and was sold as a genuine system. The mufflers were definitely on opposite sides of the tailshaft.

I didn't have to get any other pipes made for it. It did all fit; it was a lot harder than it should have been but.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a mate with a dual system on a 250 like you want.
he used Pacemakers & they separated straight after the collectors (like Northeys) & from then on it's just a standard V8 twin system.

The main thing I remember was also the sound, it got mistaken for a V8 all the time, I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't hear it myself.

BTW he had a 2V head, 350 holley & a very small cam.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Stig said:
I had a mate with a dual system on a 250 like you want.
he used Pacemakers & they separated straight after the collectors (like Northeys) & from then on it's just a standard V8 twin system.

The main thing I remember was also the sound, it got mistaken for a V8 all the time, I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't hear it myself.

BTW he had a 2V head, 350 holley & a very small cam.
The sound of the ford 250 six is exactly like a ford V8 with the right system.
I took the badges off my car and everyone who asked about it thought it was a 302. The 221 cube was the same sound.
A good cam and decent carb would go well also.

·
Ford Forums Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Northey and Stig!
At the moment i am thinking pacemaker extractors with twin 2" with hotdogs(unless someone tells me otherwise) both coming out the same side!
My engine is slightly worked with a mild cam, so it burbles nicely now.

To start with i had a hotdog, except it got knocked back in getting a blue slip, because it was the wrong configuration :wank2: . Does any one know the rules in NSW concerning exhausts? Would it be legal to cut of before the diff?

I would like the system to be as loud as it possibly can, without being illegal.

·
Registered
330 Posts
tomxy said:
Thanks Northey and Stig!
At the moment i am thinking pacemaker extractors with twin 2" with hotdogs(unless someone tells me otherwise) both coming out the same side!
My engine is slightly worked with a mild cam, so it burbles nicely now.

To start with i had a hotdog, except it got knocked back in getting a blue slip, because it was the wrong configuration :wank2: . Does any one know the rules in NSW concerning exhausts? Would it be legal to cut of before the diff?

I would like the system to be as loud as it possibly can, without being illegal.
The 6 cyl cars I heard with hotdogs sound like crap. They're loud all right but sound more like a val or holden six.
I don't know nsw rules but I'm sure the pipes will need to protrude past the rearmost point of the car. The rear bumper or near enough to it.

With the pipes cut off under the floor or at the side windows you run the risk of making passengers sick anyway from the rear windows or floor gaps/holes sucking fumes in.
It's downright dangerous to do that.
They look pretty cool anyway with straight stainless extensions with tapered ends hanging out under the bumper.

·
Registered
407 Posts
This brings back memories! Had an XY wagon with the 250 back in 84. Fitted extractors with a dual system from a panelvan onto it. Had the Chevy style (sacrilege!) dumper pipes that exited at an angle just behind the rear wheels. As Northey said it sounded exactly like a V8. Great tone. Had straight through (or pretty bloody close) mufflers on it and you could hear the thing coming for miles. Dunno about an increase in performance.....the thing had a fair bit of poke back then anyway.....but I guess the sound made up for it!

Couple of issues - car was a column auto, so had to have a bit custom made to get around the linkage as the original system was out of a floor shift. Looked a bit dodgy. Also ran a bit close to the floor I reckon as the dip switch used to get bloody hot (don't drive barefoot in summer). And I tore half the system out up the Snowy one year going a little too fast over a cattle grid - wrapped one half of the system from the muffler back around the rear axle! Doh! Then it really DID sound like a V8!

·
Ford Forums Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the system installed a few weeks ago, it is now running with dual pacemaker extractors with a twin 2" system and 2 lukey mufflers.

Click on the link and say for yourself if you think it sounds like a V8.
Although it sounds better in real life.

No video just sound

1 - 10 of 10 Posts