Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever dynoed a dual wheel F350 or alike? Ive just dynoed mine and have found that the dual wheels and tall gearing has really affected the power readout? its a brand new 460 with cobra cam, forgies, bal and blueprint, extractors, and a holley 850 double pumper, ect ect. i have read that these engines in stock form have around 400-450hp at the fly, so im assuming that with the mods it would be more like 500hp? Anyway the result was not much better than my old 460 engine that was stock and a little tired. my new engine pulls twice as hard as the old, so y does this not show on the dyno?

·
Registered
340 Posts
There's no way the old 460's found in the F-series trucks in STOCK form made any sort of power close to 400-450 hp at the flywheel. The EFI 7.5L made around 250 hp in stock form. The drivetrain can be assumed to eat up around 20% of the engine's power.

Gearing and tire size will not effect the horsepower numbers you get on the dyno. They will effect the torque curve though. The dyno numbers should be right on.

Brian

·
97 F-150 XL 4x4
799 Posts
yes no matter what you see on paper for rated output of an engine, the wheel dyno is the true and most accurate measure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts