Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at my local Beaurepaires yesterday getting some new wheels fitted to my XR6 and noticed the Dunlop SS001 tyres (235/45ZR17) they looked amazing, forgot to ask the price per corner, but they had like a 30mm channel in the centre...anyone had experience with them, and how do they match/compare with other Dunlops which also come in the same size of 235/45ZR17 the SP9000 that are standard on the XR8 and the FM901 that came 5th in the September Motor Tyre Test....

·
Copyright �2003
1,517 Posts
Weird design.

Looks pretty, but wet roads aside, I've always been of the opinion that the more rubber on the road, the more grip you get. :mmm:

I never go nuts in the wet with my car anyways (well not on public roads). :D

·
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that is a big channel, and i agree with your point more rubber on the road the better, would that mean the SS001 is more for wet weather driving and hence loses some ability in the dry as well as wear quicker. Its interesting, I thought, that Dunlop actually have 4 tyres in the performance category for the size 235/45ZR17...

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
I think you'd probably find that even with that huge channel there would still be a lot of rubber on the due to the tread design either side of the channel (ie: not many grooves = lots of rubber), unlike other tread designs where there are numerous gaps between tread grooves to allow for water.

I would prefer the Formula FM901.

·
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would you (or anyone) recommend the Dunlop FM901 over the Dunlop SP9000 ?...why?...

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
First of all I'll make it clear that I am no tyre expert.

I would probably choose the FM901 over the SP9000, simply because to me it looks as if the FM901 would have the best all round performance as well as longevity, where as the SP9000 may work better in the wet due to the tread pattern, I think it would probably wear out quicker.

Like I said, I am no tyre expert, this is just my opinion.

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
dkmaj said:
would you (or anyone) recommend the Dunlop FM901 over the Dunlop SP9000 ?...why?...
A mate of mine who owns a VT SS (which are matched to Bridgestones) recently got the FM901s on his car, and he now swears by them.

·
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought id get some prices on those 3, the result was interesting to me at least...

Dunlop FM901 $229
Dunlop SS001 $258
Dunlop SP9000 $333

All for 235/45ZR17, I was suprised at the prices, well more the price diffeences (above was just from local Beaurepaires).

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
The FM901 series tyres (previously W1, W01) suffer from excessive noise when they wear. I know - I used them many times.

The SP9000 is a rather good tyre IMO. I can't see how they could be bypassed for FM901 unless you were driven by budget.

Now then, talk to me about Continental and Pirelli. Good stuff!

·
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now then, talk to me about Continental and Pirelli. Good stuff!

LOL....some of us have budgetry restraints (aka wives!!)...

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Re: Now then, talk to me about Continental and Pirelli. Good stuff!

dkmaj said:
Aaaahhh, the wife thing. Talk to me but expect no sympathy. I just spent over 8k on a little thing called a 347.

"But Peter, it looks the same. Where did all that money go?" (Handbrake)

"Ummmmm, ..............." (Me) :eek:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Just gone to Continental myself. I had trouble with the sp9000 when they got to 2/1/2 years old. The rubber compound just broke down with large chunks able to be removed. Serious lack of traction to. New tyres are good so far "CONTISPORT" Same level of grip without the picking up every stone in sight.

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
HSE2 said:
Just gone to Continental myself. I had trouble with the sp9000 when they got to 2/1/2 years old. The rubber compound just broke down with large chunks able to be removed. Serious lack of traction to. New tyres are good so far "CONTISPORT" Same level of grip without the picking up every stone in sight.

Dont stop you getting bogged though.......LOL:D :D

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
I got the Dunlop FM901's on the rear of my beast.

I got them cos they looked good, and also cos I couldnt afford my first choice (Bridgestone S02's - I have them on the front)

The dunlops where $450 each, and the Bridgestone's where $550 each. (235 40 18)

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Re: Now then, talk to me about Continental and Pirelli. Good stuff!

dkmaj said:
hehe... I had a restraint before.... He tried to stop me modifying my car. He is now my ex... about a week after I dumped him I had the unichip in... about 2.5 months later I had the engine rebuilt.

and now he wants to have a drive of my car and he wonders why I say no!!

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
dkmaj said:
Don't I know it. Worse still, my wife drives my car most of the time and low and behold, I look at the rear tyres the other day (SP9000's), and sure enough they're near stuffed..(38K). Now I've gotta get new ones..$$$
I told her she's been smokin' em up...so much for traction control.;)
Russell.

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Rastus said:

Don't I know it. Worse still, my wife drives my car most of the time and low and behold, I look at the rear tyres the other day (SP9000's), and sure enough they're near stuffed..(38K). Now I've gotta get new ones..$$$
I told her she's been smokin' em up...so much for traction control.;)
Russell.
38k out of a set of SP9000's........that is bloody good going. A mate of mine got just over 20k out of his!! although he used to smoke them quite often:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts