Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all

I had my XE with a 302 Cleveland dyno'd last week and it was shown to have 207hp at the wheels. It has a mild crane cam, a set of pacemaker extractors and 3" exhaust but is otherwise not too far off standard. What kind of results have other 302's had out there?

·
Registered
596 Posts
got my cobra dynoed last week. its a 302w roller cam, gt40 heads but stock exhaust manfolds and it made about 194hp, cant complain in a light car. i really wanted around 250

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
XE302 said:
G'day all

I had my XE with a 302 Cleveland dyno'd last week and it was shown to have 207hp at the wheels. It has a mild crane cam, a set of pacemaker extractors and 3" exhaust but is otherwise not too far off standard. What kind of results have other 302's had out there?
That will get you into the mid 14's.....so still an OK streeter with some low diff gears. What are you revving it up to?

What carb/manifold are you using?

Next time the engine's out, get yourself a 351 crank and a new set of pistons using your 302 rods. That will get you an easy extra 40+hp at the wheels and a fair bit more torque.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TruBlu351 said:
That will get you into the mid 14's.....so still an OK streeter with some low diff gears. What are you revving it up to?

What carb/manifold are you using?

Next time the engine's out, get yourself a 351 crank and a new set of pistons using your 302 rods. That will get you an easy extra 40+hp at the wheels and a fair bit more torque.
It has 3.23 gears in it, and it makes peak power a bit over 6000rpm. I've never done any drags in it yet, so I don't know it's optimum shift points or things like that. It has a relatively flat torque curve peaking around 4-4500rpm.

Carb and manifold are all standard, the Thermoquad's just been tuned to suit the cam, etc. I'm happy with how it is, I just wanted a good streeter that was tough but relatively fuel efficient. As it is it's not a huge lot thirstier than my standard 250 XD wagon (depending on how it's driven), but goes 2 or 3 times better.

I've heard of that crank/rod combination, if I was to ever go for a 351 I'd seriously look into that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds about spot on. My rebuilt 302, R.I.P., had a mild crow cam that made around 160 rwkw (215 rwhp) at about 5000 rpm through a hi stalled c10. What sort of lifters are you using, mine collapsed and destroyed the motor when it went just over 6000 rpm on the dyno.
Is yours manual or auto, cause the auto loses abot 15 rwkw compared to the manual.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
XC 302 said:
Sounds about spot on. My rebuilt 302, R.I.P., had a mild crow cam that made around 160 rwkw (215 rwhp) at about 5000 rpm through a hi stalled c10. What sort of lifters are you using, mine collapsed and destroyed the motor when it went just over 6000 rpm on the dyno.
Is yours manual or auto, cause the auto loses abot 15 rwkw compared to the manual.
I'm couldn't tell you what lifters I've got, my brother researched it, bought all the parts and put the engine together for me. Most of the internals are standard as far as I know, I think only the cam, lifters and valve springs are modified, and the crank and rods were all balanced. I do have the receipt for all the parts somewhere.

The trans is manual, XH 5spd, which turned out really nice as, because it's from a ute with a low ratio diff, 5th gear is a much taller ratio than the 5th gear in the old ED 5spd I had that blew up a few months ago. The ED box with a 2.92 diff revved the same in 5th as the XH box with a 3.23 diff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If they are normal hydraulic lifters (not anti-pump), which i assume they are with a mild cam, i wouldn't push it past 6000 rpm or the lifters will generally fail. must be fun having a manual, the auto in mine always made it feel like a slug pushing 1800 kg worth of car. I'd say the ed box was one of those supra XF 5 speed's that cant handle any power, the XH T5 should go forever (assuming it is a t5).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
XC 302 said:
If they are normal hydraulic lifters (not anti-pump), which i assume they are with a mild cam, i wouldn't push it past 6000 rpm or the lifters will generally fail. must be fun having a manual, the auto in mine always made it feel like a slug pushing 1800 kg worth of car. I'd say the ed box was one of those supra XF 5 speed's that cant handle any power, the XH T5 should go forever (assuming it is a t5).
I generally don't push it to the upper limits of the tacho, only very few times has it gone off the scale (standard 6000rpm tacho).

The ED box was a T5 too, both boxes looked identical on the outside, it was just one of those freak things (I hope) that it blew up, stripped all the teeth off third gear, which is apparently the gear that will fail first in those things, as it's the one people often drop back to, so it's subject to forces from both directions more than the other gears

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are you sure the tacho is accurate, The factory tacho in mine reads about 4700rpm when it is actually doing around 5500rpm, only found out when it was on the dyno with the diagnostics. Your power seems a bit high in the rev range with mostly standard parts, when i had the standard intake/carb on mine, it struggled to get over 5000 rpm. Put on the single plane and it would rev until it broke (which it did).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
XC 302 said:
Are you sure the tacho is accurate, The factory tacho in mine reads about 4700rpm when it is actually doing around 5500rpm, only found out when it was on the dyno with the diagnostics. Your power seems a bit high in the rev range with mostly standard parts, when i had the standard intake/carb on mine, it struggled to get over 5000 rpm. Put on the single plane and it would rev until it broke (which it did).
I wasn't actually there when it was dyno'd, my brother got it all done, though apparently the tacho was spot on, but the speedo was a little bit out, just not enough to be an issue. I suppose with aftermarket wheels and tyres you can only get so close to the original rolling diameter.
The tacho in the car wouldn't be what they use to measure the revs on a dyno anyway surely.
My brother did do a bit of work on the heads come to think of it, but as far as I new it wasn't anything major, just taking off the rough edges, what's known as a bowl job I believe, maybe that's why it revs to 6000?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
If you ever want to calibrate your speedo (electronic in XD/XE) I'll let you in on the magic screw!!

Drive down the freeway with a GPS (borrow someones) at 100km/h and adjust the screw 'till it reads correctly. You'll abviously need to pull the dash out a little - easy job.

There may be a small sticker covering the hole.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sorry to go off topic, but TruBlue351, you have any idea if there is one of those magic screws on the XF series cluster ? Jeeze it'd make my life easy if there were.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
st00pid said:
Sorry to go off topic, but TruBlue351, you have any idea if there is one of those magic screws on the XF series cluster ? Jeeze it'd make my life easy if there were.
Can't guarantee it, but if I were to bet some $$$ on it, I'd feel quite confident!! They don't go into this detail in your average workshop manual. An instrument callibration shop told me about it.

Give your local Ford dealer or instrument shop (yellow pages) a call to confirm it, but I bet they do, being an electronic speedo (no cables) :hy:

·
Registered
202 Posts
'Effing awesome, If ever there's a meet best remind me to buy you a beer or 5 !. Will see if I still have a spare out back and will have a poke and prod at it.

Many thanks mate
Adrian.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 302 was dynoed 170rwhp @ 5000rpm:

4v valves sizes and roller rockers, double springs.
Accelerator manifold
600vs holly
204/214 cam dynamics cam.
Pacemaker tri-y 1 5/8 into single 2 1/5
C4 with loose as hell 3000 stall
9” 3.9

Performance was shit, but I was trying to sort out what I’d inherited from previous owner and was on steep learning curve.

Put stock 2v heads on, stock manifold, unknown cam of approx ½” lift. Standard stall. Now runs 93mph trap speed in 3600lb shifting at only 4500rpm because lifters or springs can’t take any more. Drinks 17L per hundred mainly spirited city driving.

That’s 226 rwhp according to morroso formula.

In my case, less turned out to be more.

·
Country Boy Rippin it up!
137 Posts
i havent dynoed my mild 302 clevo yet, but i cant wait based on these posts maby some one with simalar mods can tell me how much i'll be looking at?

302 Clevo decked 10 though
stg 2 heatseeker cam (unsure of specs)
2v stg 2 heads
500 holly carb
GT40 coil
Jackson Timing gears
Extractors
standared intake & internals
C4 auto

what kind of power do you's think i would i be lookin at?

·
Registered
15 Posts
If i was to guess, an optimistic 170-180 rwhp (130-140 rwkw).
Without actual specs its hard to say, especially what the heads are like, but if it made more than 200 rwhp i would be very surprised. A stg 2 cam would probably be a small towing cam.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts