Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
after taking my car to Herrods for the day, and having the 4.0 modified with teh herrods extractors, hi flow cat, 2.5 inch exhaust, crow cam, k+n filter and enlarged (xr8) air box snorkel, the before dyno was a mere 95 kw, and after was 118...jeff claimed it was around what he expected, and with the unichip later on i could gain a further 8-10...but still its not going to be up there with some peoples claims of 135kw at the rear with the same mods...could anyone advise me on what tweaks i can try to get the most out of the mods i have, Jeff mentioned either the EL intake pipe to replace the ef's shoehorn, or a fabricated mendrel 3 inch (which was $300)..does the mandrel offer a performance increase over the EL's improvements, or is it purel cosmetic?..

also what other small mods should i be doing to get the most out of her..?..

xr6 plugs etc????

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am also considering doing the cold air intake as posted to me by RAT...

as I am not convinced the intake can breathe properly, as it is pressed up against the inside of the EF bonnet, with no grille to allow airflow..

·
Registered
65 Posts
95kw doesnt sound right??? should be around 109kw standard... that with the 23kw you gained would normally bring it up to around the 135kw.... Mine has just finished similar mods along with an 98 XR6 head and new rings and bearings so I have to wait till the motor is run in untill the dyno run. My Cam might be a bit lumpier than the crow set up, idle is very rough but once u hit 2500 revs it becomes a tyre smoking rocket ship.
KSK

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kiwi, perhaps you are quoting from a different dyno system?..

Herrods In mebourne have done extensive testing and development for the 4.0 efi, and their best results to date using a cam and exhaust is 120 kw..

the crow cams website claim that the standard efi 4.0 is around 95-98 kw...

perhaps the 109 you are quoting is the xr6?..

what I am after is some ideas on extra, cheap and effective performance addons..Ie. brand of spark plugs, paticular ignition leads etc.?

·
goooone
2,708 Posts
Power out puts from a dyno don't mean shit different dynos on different days with different operators as well as tyres gearing etc can mean there is huge variations in the numbers they will spit out what you should really interested is getting the highest increase on that dyno looking at the % gained not just at top end but through the rev range rather then getting a big number to impress your mates

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree entirely with Mr Jucy - Dynos are all different, and each day is different (ATM pressure, temp, etc) Also there is the possible dyno conversion factor that I stated in the other post. My standard EF made 150rwhp and now makes 190rwhp (27% increase) with the same mods except no bigger snorkel and a little port work.

So assuming they have the 1.5 conversion factor you have 177rwhp as compared to 142.5 you had before. Thats a 24% increase....not bad if you ask me...these people who claim 135KW are converting from hp with the ACTUAL conversion of 1.34 so I'de be making 142KW according to them. Then they say that since the standard car makes 98KW and 157fwkw the conversion is 1.6 and say they have 210KW from the 135rwKW. Its all Bullshit....
135rwKW is 180hp which is approx 180fwKW no more...be happy youve got 177rwhp so your making approx 177fwKW

this is part of the great dyno debate...and many people try to abuse it to say there car has heaps of power....if I followed them I'de have 141rwKW or 226fwKW and believe me thats bullshit

G

·
Hi Guys,
I'm no expert but the way I've used info from dyno's for mine has been to go to the same place and get it measured stock then after each modification get it done to see the result, on the same dyno. As I say I'm no expert but I figure that no matter what the dyno says at stock it should give me a fairly accurate indication of what benefits the mods are giving me. I mean even if the figures were lower or higher than other dynos the fact that I am seeing an increase from stock is still relevant. Mind you it helps when you leave SS Crapodores and most Clubsports in your wake to know things are O.K. :)

Cheers

Steve.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
bloody hell, you people are gonna make me do another dyno run! lol i've gotta find someone in sydney to do another run because i want to know whether the figure i was given is correct or not... but everyone's making me doubt it, which i don't like! hehe

·
Australian Member
255 Posts
Hey the mighty ford person
if you do. I guess the people here at this club recommends to go to Crydon AUtosports at Silverwater. We all had our casrs dynoed there.
My car puts out 122RWKWS... With air-intake, extractors, hi-flowcat and muffler.

Or if you can wait.. I'm sure that Kelly is organising another Dyno day soon..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for your detailed reply delta..

i totally agree with what you have said, as this is what was told to me when i had the mods done...

my dyno sheet states exactly what you have said

1 - 11 of 11 Posts