Ford Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1989 E 150 Club Wagon Camper
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, picked up this Club Wagon on 12/9. Sink and bed frame installed. 20,000 miles on factory reman engine, Jasper reman auto trans installed 2016, Solar panel, all power locks work, power windows work. So far have renewed plugs, plug wires, [ NGK Iridium, Ngk wires}, Standard Dizzy cap and rotor, Standard Coil. 5W40 STP oil and filter [Autozone}. Removed the cruise control cable and can, Installed new throttle cable today. Pedal is lots freer now, previous work was held together with nylon ties which bound up a bit. New front inner and outer wheel bearings and races, reman calipers, new front brake hoses, new semi met pads{ O reilly}. Finished up the brake bleeding this am with Synthetic dot 3, renewed all the old fluid with new. Rear brakes looked about 80% with no seepage at the wheel cyls. they are gtg. Next up Thermostat housing, 195 thermostat, upper and lower rad hoses and clamps, fresh dose of green antifreeze. Have the drain open into a 5 gallon can now. Radiater looks near new, plastic and aluminum construction. will post more as work progresses, Looking to hit the road around first of Feb. suggestions, tips encouragement welcome. Thanks, Mike. Chin Beard Cap Picture frame Facial hair

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
About the only thing you haven't mentioned is the u-joints and rear bearings. Are you using this locally or really hitting the road?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About the only thing you haven't mentioned is the u-joints and rear bearings. Are you using this locally or really hitting the road?
Hi, thanks for asking. When I pulled the rear drums, the seal and bearing felt and looked sound. She is head in in the driveway, will check the U joints and change the rear differential fluid and gasket when running again. scoped out differential gears if needed. Will probably renew u joints if needed. Tranny fluid and filter change is also on the list. Previous owner , a gal with one blue and one brown eye, kept her up really well. Have shop receipts from 2016 from pervious to her owning. Front gas tank and lift pump were replaced in 2016. Paid 5k for her, about 3700 in parts/fluids/hardware either installed, or in the lineup as of today. tires were 900.00 alone, 60,000 mile warranty Back Country from Les Schwab. Glad I kept my basic Snap On stuff from when I did this for a living. Going to do some shorter outings when road ready, shakedown cruises. Ohio, Michigan, Iowa, South Carolina are on the wish list to see some pals in person. Will add more to the saga as work progresses. Thank You.

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
I have an old 70's vintage truck that I drove to Virginia and ended up rebuilding the rear end in my sister's driveway. Always take tools. Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an old 70's vintage truck that I drove to Virginia and ended up rebuilding the rear end in my sister's driveway. Always take tools. Good luck!
thanks Cat Skinner. 25 years line mechanic in Homer, Alaska. Used to having a "breakdown Kit" stashed. Finished installing some used Mazda seats in her today, 80 bux the pair, grey cloth. Big improvement on the 32 year old Captains chair. Smells better in there already. haha.:giggle:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lower rad hose installed today, gates green stripe, 2 new stnls. clamps. cleaned water outlet, hand surfaced the gasket contact area. fine abrasive sheet stapled to a small butcher block. circular motion, check often, removed the pitting from rtv silicone sealant some one used. greased front steering and kingpins. gunk de greaser on steering box and ps pump. going with 2 new hoses, no telling how old these are, 127 k on the clock. fluid has been leaking for a while, pump is quiet , must have kept up the fluid Tho, it looks real clean. found dorman heater core connecters, basically all new hose in front. been a while, 5 yrs. ,since engine was installed by po. hood prop was missing when purchased, using an arrow i found in the shop. lite weight mileage mod from yrs truly

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1/7/2022 renew belt tensioner pulley, [gates brand] , remove alternator and pedestal, bearings rough, on the list. air pump next, will then have access to egr pipe which was laying in place unconnected. 5.8 liter 1989 club wagon. anyone remove the air pump and use a shorter belt? opinions welcome tnx, mike

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Yup. I have a 92 5.0 that the smog pump is gone, and the AC has been replaced by a dummy pulley. Is your idler on top? Mine takes a K060795 Micro-V with the smog delete. If your idler pulley is not on top, disregard. This assumes, AC (or dummy pulley), power steering and alternator.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup. I have a 92 5.0 that the smog pump is gone, and the AC has been replaced by a dummy pulley. Is your idler on top? Mine takes a K060795 Micro-V with the smog delete. If your idler pulley is not on top, disregard. This assumes, AC (or dummy pulley), power steering and alternator.
thanks man. ac compressor is gone on this one. took a dump run[used seats], and bought a steel rim. mounted now. renewed solenoid, volt regulator, got battery tray bent back to stock condition. someone flattened one lip somehow. tray is sound. ps hoses arrived[gates pressure and return] . egr steel pipe from egr to exhaust now installed. it was not connected, just lucky it stayed in engine bay. cleaned engine, and fender grounds. easier acess at present. gonna run with an air pump, and reman alternator battery fully charged. she will go back together with cleaned /renewed accessories.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks man. ac compressor is gone on this one. took a dump run[used seats], and bought a steel rim. mounted now. renewed solenoid, volt regulator, got battery tray bent back to stock condition. someone flattened one lip somehow. tray is sound. ps hoses arrived[gates pressure and return] . egr steel pipe from egr to exhaust now installed. it was not connected, just lucky it stayed in engine bay. cleaned engine, and fender grounds. easier acess at present. gonna run with an air pump, and reman alternator battery fully charged. she will go back together with cleaned /renewed accessories.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
busy Tuesday. gutted remaining AC piping, hoses, and condenser in front of radiator. pruning lopper/hacksaw work. Installed the new Gates PS hoses, O Ring missing on old hose, rubber hard. new hose used an 18mm wrench on the pump fitting, had me scratching the noggin a bit. Used a bottle of Lucas PS additive to refill, will top up when running with recommended fluid. Cleaned front of rocker cover driver side while in that area. Clocked reman alternator from O'Reilly store. Used a bit of the tube from a can of brakeklean to hold the brushes. Wrote a note on Alt. to remove tube when installing, haha. Rain out today, going to do water and propane re supply. Wore myself out, so rest up is a good idea for me. mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
busy Tuesday. gutted remaining AC piping, hoses, and condenser in front of radiator. pruning lopper/hacksaw work. Installed the new Gates PS hoses, O Ring missing on old hose, rubber hard. new hose used an 18mm wrench on the pump fitting, had me scratching the noggin a bit. Used a bottle of Lucas PS additive to refill, will top up when running with recommended fluid. Cleaned front of rocker cover driver side while in that area. Clocked reman alternator from O'Reilly store. Used a bit of the tube from a can of brakeklean to hold the brushes. Wrote a note on Alt. to remove tube when installing, haha. Rain out today, going to do water and propane re supply. Wore myself out, so rest up is a good idea for me. mike
well, good progress today, Gates bypass hose, top heater outlet to pipe on manifold hooked up. Used Dorman 3/4 to 5/8 couplers on the heater core pipes. Steel wool cleaning on the brass , new 5/8 hose. Bottom pipe out to the tee fitting, ran outta clamps, cleaned tee fitting. Throttle body has 2 3/8 hoses, renewed. Alternator and its pedestal installed, clocked it right, pulled the brush straw too. Tie wrapped dangling wires underhood as I came to them. Alt came with pulley and fan installed, nice bonus. All for now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, AC delete pedestal and pulley, renewed belt tensioner, cleaned a ground wire. heater core piping done, no molded hose avail, used bulk 5/8, and a Dorman 90 degree elbow, hose is not hugging alternator. Had to check clearance of top rad hose, and air intake hoses. used a mix of new and used clamps, tried to orient the screw for future access/rub on other parts of engine. picked up trans filter and gasket kit, trans is a C6, which I am familiar with. Solenoid to starter wire will be renewed while in that neighborhood. Joints are not rusty, and are greaseable, may have caught a break there. Got some stainless handles from hardware store, orig. are history. All for now, thanks for advice. mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well. rainy here today. Installed L&R inside door handles, Stainless steel from the hardware store, used in a gate application. Drilled for the blind jacknuts, they expand as the 1/4 bolt is drawn up tight. Nothing fancy, but solid and functional. Bed area is raised in rear, there is a tunnel down the middle . Plastic Bankers Boxes fit two side by side in the rectangular storage spaces. PO did a nice job here. Walmart, about 6 bucks each. Hinged lid, fairly dust and moisture proof. All for today. Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well. rainy here today. Installed L&R inside door handles, Stainless steel from the hardware store, used in a gate application. Drilled for the blind jacknuts, they expand as the 1/4 bolt is drawn up tight. Nothing fancy, but solid and functional. Bed area is raised in rear, there is a tunnel down the middle . Plastic Bankers Boxes fit two side by side in the rectangular storage spaces. PO did a nice job here. Walmart, about 6 bucks each. Hinged lid, fairly dust and moisture proof. All for today. Cheers
evening, Wired up Alternator ground , connected hot wire and field plug. Renewed solenoid to starter cable, soldered and shrink tube each end. Followed factory routing, used some 5/8 hose at the holder near front of block for the metal standoff piece there, zip tied and light pressure fit on the cable, kinda made a half circle to hold cable. Starter appears new, no rust, factory reman black paint, gonna run it. Did some kitchen organizing, fastened bill basket to countertop , put dog food in space between rear side door and floor, cleaning stuff in the waste water cabinet, top shelf tightened up the rope to keep stuff up there.Took out trash, cleaned the floor. all for now, mike:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Two weeks of rain took care of the windows, HAHA. Went with an "Off Road Idler Bracket", Part # FRDM8604-A50 to take care of the Air pump problem. Perfect fit on the H motor, 5.8 liter. Came with a smaller pulley, I changed it out with same one as the AC delete pulley, looked to be the same diameter as the air pump pulley. Some cat in Ontario sold it on Ebay, Re used the long bolt, the steel bracket, and the two other bolt and nut. Needed two washers on the engine stud to square up the bracket. 5 mins in the coffee can full of that stuff. {better investment than gold}. Stock belt fit on nicely. Cleaned the water pump pulley natch. Top rad hose is installed, fill up with glycol/water and check work so far. PS fluid, and antifreeze are on hand. Felt really good to slip that belt on tonight. cold still when the sun goes down here in Vantucky. Have a great weekend!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Two weeks of rain took care of the windows, HAHA. Went with an "Off Road Idler Bracket", Part # FRDM8604-A50 to take care of the Air pump problem. Perfect fit on the H motor, 5.8 liter. Came with a smaller pulley, I changed it out with same one as the AC delete pulley, looked to be the same diameter as the air pump pulley. Some cat in Ontario sold it on Ebay, Re used the long bolt, the steel bracket, and the two other bolt and nut. Needed two washers on the engine stud to square up the bracket. 5 mins in the coffee can full of that stuff. {better investment than gold}. Stock belt fit on nicely. Cleaned the water pump pulley natch. Top rad hose is installed, fill up with glycol/water and check work so far. PS fluid, and antifreeze are on hand. Felt really good to slip that belt on tonight. cold still when the sun goes down here in Vantucky. Have a great weekend!!
late start, out with friends on a sat Nite. Changed out fuel filter with Baldwin brand replacing the Chinesium no brand one. There was a "clunk" when I shook the old one, Don't want to ask. hooked up air intake hoses, replaced on large clamp. Warmed up the hose a bit, easier install. Filter box installed, leaving the snout off until Tranny is serviced it blocks the dipstick tube. Monday work. Have filter and fluid on hand. Started filling Cooling system, 50/50 mix is the goal. Will use empty gallon jugs for the tranny fluid in the drain pan. C6, calls for 6 qts. with filter change. O'Reilly brand fluids for both. Left her on the jack stands from filter change good access to trans. Jasper re man unit, approx. 20,000 on it. Miles, not Klicks. Will grease driveline u joints while under there and already dripping with Dexron. Gotta turn her around for the Rear diff fluid change, Battery is charged and ready to drop in. All for now, Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts