Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i bought a 1993 f250 7.3 idi non turbo (211k) with the e4od automatic (not original tranny, but the owner doesn't know when it was rebuilt or replaced). When i bought it, i was told it had issues with the fipl and vss sensor causing a flashing overdrive light and erratic shifts. I replaced them both in conjunction with a tach sensor, and calibrated the fipl. I also reset the PCM by leaving the batteries unplugged for a few days. The truck ran perfectly for about a month till i pulled in my driveway the other day, and noticed my overdrive light flashing. My overdrive was off, so it should normally stay solid. But it was flashing uncontrollably with no pattern. Everything works well though. If anything, i have a faster shift into 3rd and 4th around 40mph causing the engine to bog just a little. When i have the overdrive engaged, the light never flashes. Its only when i leave it out of overdrive, the light flashes with no pattern, but it runs and drives very well with no hard shifting. Any tips here guys? I'm thinking its an electrical issue, because this truck was well taken care of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome aboard! Have you checked the speed sensor?
Thanks! Yes, i have checked the speed sensor on the rear axle, and replaced it. All my connectors are in fantastic shape since the truck has never seen a winter. However, i'm thinking its an electrical issue with the overdrive. Even though it works fine, when i take it out of overdrive, the OD light flashes very fast and without pattern. Maybe a loose connection? Usually when the fipl is out of spec, or there is another issue, the OD light has a consistent slow flash regardless or being in or out of OD. This is very fast, and without pattern, and only when im not in OD. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
7,785 Posts
Not without poking an prdding. I'd first check the wiring to verify it's intact and not shorting. I just remember a similar issue on the vans from the era that ended up being faulty speed sensors. Very intermittent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts