Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all,

Have received another query that I have no idea on, this time on the topic of air con. Any advice for Mark would be appreciated!

"I recently bought a well-used EA(?) Ford Falcon GL S/W for $2000. I don’t know how many klm’s it’s done as the odometer isn’t working, but it’s had its 4sp auto gearbox reconditioned about 18 months ago, and the head replaced recently. It’s not using any oil. It’s on LPG with a reduced size petrol tank. The LPG cylinder was retested as part of the road-worthy, and so has a new 10-year certificate and stamp. It goes well and four days after collecting it we headed off from Brisbane to Sydney, down the coast, spent a week there looking around (including a day-trip to Katoomba) and drove back to Brisbane with five adults and heaps of luggage. It never missed a beat!

I’ve had to fix some small things, like door latches and windscreen washers, but the main problem in Brisbane’s sultry summer is the air-con, or rather the air directing system under the dash. As you are no doubt aware, the whole thing is powered by vacuum from the manifold. At the moment, especially when running on LPG, even a slight, prolonged, up-hill incline will switch the whole thing off. Once over the crest the vacuum is reestablished and the appropriate vents open and we’re cool again. Apparently this is a common problem. The fresh-air/recycle-air lever doesn’t seem to accomplish anything, and the lever that switches from cool to heat also seems inactive. Do I have a fault, or is this normal for this model? If a fault, where do you suggest I start looking and if it’s normal, is there anything I can do to improve the system?

Also, I’d rather like to get the odometer going. The speedo is fine, so it’s something inside the unit, Any suggestions?

Mark J"

·
I Love Forced Induction.
569 Posts
Get yourself a manual and check all vacuum lines, behind sswitch box, and vacuum box on the vent box.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
HOW did it get a pink slip for rego with the odometer NOT working, that's illegal isnt it ??

·
Registered
292 Posts
Find that on mine with big throttle opening and long up hills.. the vacuum drops and the vacuum motors move back to default directing air back to the windscreen.

Only thing I could think of would be to put in an extra vacuum tank to cater for the big hills.. but that would make starting a pain as it tries to remove all air from the system.

Could just wind up the ignition timing slightly to get a bit more bang so you need less throttle! Would this work?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts