Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, im new to the forums so sorry if im not posting this in the appropriate forum. But ive just bought a 88' Ea Falcon GL, and the engine has a carby, i always assumed that all fords from ea were fuel injected. Is it simple enough to convert from carby to fuel injection. Im guessing the computer etc would need a professional to fully install.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Center point injection? never heard of it. I assume from ur response that its not good. And 3 - 400 is not too bad, im pretty capable of doing the work myself with help from my dad. Thanks guys for ur help

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
CFI stands for central fuel injection.
It is actually not a bad system as it has some of the advantages that MPEFI (multi point electronic fuel injection) has, such as easy starting, smooth idle, etc, etc. However because of it only having 2 injectors located above the throttle plate, instead of individual injectors located at the inlet port, performance suffers higher in the rev range. The TB is also quite small in comparison to the MP TB.

At low to middling revs it can actually work ok as the engines AF requirements aren't so high.

As they have said above, it is a straightforward conversion, and all the parts are readily available from wreckers.

Rick.

·
He without "fastness"
231 Posts
my CFI is very nasty in cold weather :(

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
SoulReaver said:
my CFI is very nasty in cold weather :(
You likely have other problems such as the thermostat may be stuck open.

Rick.

·
He without "fastness"
231 Posts
Soxx... my thermostat is fine... when the engine gets to temperature, it runs bewdiful. Its just that when im starting up its shit. the engine keeps getting flooded and cant burn properly at low revs... when i switch to gas it runs fine tho..

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
SoulReaver said:
Soxx... my thermostat is fine... when the engine gets to temperature, it runs bewdiful. Its just that when im starting up its shit. the engine keeps getting flooded and cant burn properly at low revs... when i switch to gas it runs fine tho..
Ok, so it's not the cold weather as you first said, it's when the engine itself is cold.
You still likely have a problem somewhere as the CFI engines typically run without hicup when cold, hot, or indifferent.

Rick.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
A little off topic here, but how much should a thermo stat open under boil? Ive just tested it and its opening roughly half a centimetre. Its out of an EL XR6.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
rmyers has an MPFI setup for sale $170 I think he wants for it, check the market place :0)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hey Dude,

Get rid of the CPFI setup on your falcon, you will only have problems with it. My EA Falcon was CPI but 2 months ago I got the shits with it and converted it to Multi-point fuel injection and installed a nice big fat RAMPOD. All up it cost me around $300 and that is including all parts and hoses, coolant etc. Took me 2 days to do the conversion.

Since doing the conversion I am getting at least 100km more out of a tank, starts first time every time and doesn't stall on cold mornings. The idle is silky smooth, before it would hunt around and would never settle properly. The conversion will pay for itself in a year with the amount of fuel I am saving. Plus its an extra 20KW of power to play with. I could never get my 225 yokohama tyres to spin when taking off from the lights or when going around a corner, now it smokes them up without even trying.

Cheers Luke.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Soxx said:
Ok, so it's not the cold weather as you first said, it's when the engine itself is cold.
You still likely have a problem somewhere as the CFI engines typically run without hicup when cold, hot, or indifferent.

Rick.
Soxx/SoulReaver, my CFI EA has the same symptoms. Any ideas what this could be?

Cheers,
Steve

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
I'd be looking at the fuel filter, injectors, oxy sensor.

Rick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Dude,

Get rid of the CPFI setup on your falcon, you will only have problems with it. My EA Falcon was CPI but 2 months ago I got the shits with it and converted it to Multi-point fuel injection and installed a nice big fat RAMPOD. All up it cost me around $300 and that is including all parts and hoses, coolant etc. Took me 2 days to do the conversion.

Since doing the conversion I am getting at least 100km more out of a tank, starts first time every time and doesn't stall on cold mornings. The idle is silky smooth, before it would hunt around and would never settle properly. The conversion will pay for itself in a year with the amount of fuel I am saving. Plus its an extra 20KW of power to play with. I could never get my 225 yokohama tyres to spin when taking off from the lights or when going around a corner, now it smokes them up without even trying.

Cheers Luke.
Hi Luke, i have an 89 EA Fairmont wanting to go from CPI to MPFI i believe you have done this by your post, it seems its worth doing , hope you can tell me abit about it which model to use , i also see it was along time ago thanks Larry.

·
Super Moderator
815 Posts
Please refrain from posting in 15 year old threads if you have nothing constructive to add.

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts