Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting this error code as the only error on my stock EA S 3.9 mpi T5. Car runs fine, except for sometimes runs a few hundred rpm higher than normal at idle and fluctuates a bit in that range.

Car feels a bit breathless to me, especially in lower rpm, and lacks torque when booted although power comes on well from 3000 to 4500 rpm. It's the only one I've driven so I don't know what's normal. Can't do better than 9.9 sec 0-100 on PULP with timing 2 degree advanced after new rotor, dizzy cap, HT leads and plugs and base timing set, and actually about .4 sec slower on best time with ULP than before I changed them. Actually did about .2 sec better on ULP at normal timing after new ignition bits.

Is the ECU likley to have anything to do with this, or is it about normal? Any other possibilities?

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
could be vacuum leaks

with engine idling listen for sucking noises around vacuum hoses and intake. If you get a can of aerostart or similar and spray on intake gasket and vac hoses. If there is a leak, engine rpm will increase once sprayed on the leak. Another thing to check on MPI is the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator. Sometimes the wiring loom rubs on it. Located at back of engine ontop of aluminium intake No6. The hose has a 90 degree bend and loom sometimes sits on top.

·
Australian Fairmont Member
23 Posts
EA S
Rom / Kam errors or Keep Alive Memory errors can occur if your computer is losing battery voltage when vehicle is turned off. The computer uses the KAM to remember basic settings that it has learnt. When these settings are lost the vehicle will have problems with idle as well as other areas of the rev range.
KAM is the reason that when you have had the battery disconnected that you have to leave it idle for a while for the idle revs to stabilise.
Check your battery as well as the wiring to the computer.

Hope this helps

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What did I do

Botch and White Knight: Thanks.

No result aerostart. Vacuum at fuel pressure regulator hose. Jiggled connectors that area and idle altered noticably while doing it, but no idea which connector involved as fiddling around behind intake at time. Pulled them up so not near heat sources.

Fiddled with battery connections and pulled them away from possible short circuit and drip sources on P/S.

Pulled No. 1 plug lead off and noticed mark on freshly painted rocker cover like it had been arcing. No damage on new plug lead ( Bosch) and no paint on it so it didn't just pull it away. Lead was hard up against cover on exhaust side as bit short and routed through guides. Took it out of guides and left it clear of cover.

Reset base timing to correct 10% BTDC (was actually 4 degrees advanced rather than 2 I said before - I meant it was 2 above 10 + or - 2 set by Ford).

White Knight: Thanks for your comment re mystery beep. I was wondering if there was a connection after I read your reply this topic. Any clues on how to eliminate possibilities, or is better left to an auto elec?
Drove car to work this morning about 12 k and pretty near perfect idle and very smooth all round.

What did I do, apart from getting rid of excessive advance, and could the plug lead have been arcing and causing problems, and would that affect ECU KAM?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts