Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know these aren't totally accurate, but how far off are they?

Just filled up, trip comp said I had 547km til empty. 28km of not-so-hard driving (I nailed it off from the lights once or twice) later and the bloody thing is showing 476km! L/100km is showing 13.4, so I dunno what the hell is going on.

It was doing this before I replaced the thermostat, I figured it was because of my higher fuel consumption. The new thermostat is working for sure, the engine warms up in no time now. Just hope my fuel consumption has changed, if it starts going through that much again I'm gonna go trade it in for a Laser....

·
Often has bolts left over
848 Posts
476km to the tank isnt that bad for city driving. it depends on what sort of driving you do, if thats in traffic going to work its about right. buy a laser if you like, but no car will have good economy in traffic.

you will probably find your L/100km will go down to about 12 very quickly if you do any cruising type driving. if you do a lot of it then it'll go below 9.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it's not the 476 that's really worrying me, it's the fact it will keep dropping at a rate much faster than the kms I'm racking up, no matter how much I grandma it. For instance the other week it dropped 100km within doing about 20, I put it down to the thermostat being fubar and my fuel consumption being through the roof, but I guess maybe it's not the only cause.

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
just wait till you get into some lean cruise conditions... these things will actually go up...

To give you an example, I drove from my place to melb. total trip about 300km. my trip computer went from like 400 - 330 something. That was because it was going 'hey this guy isn't drivin like a tool for a change, hes going to get a bit further this time, I better slow down the rate the DTE is dropping'

Mine used to never get above 545 km DTE when I'd filled up but now it'll go to 665. I guess it has learnt on its own?

The trip computers are generally pretty accurate. Just watch it over time and you'll realise how they work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts