Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a turboed EA falcon now it runs at a temp of about 85 to 90 degrees when driving but when she stops at traffic lights and its warm out side it creaps up past the 115 degree point it would probable keep going if the lights did not turn green

I thought it might have been the airconditioner radiator as it was bashed almost flat on the back (didnt work anyway pipe was cracked before i got it) there is also an intercooler aswell but I wouldnt think this would cause the prob

Any ideas?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Howdy Skara. Have you checked the usual customers such as:

1. Clutch fan
2. Thermostat
3. Leaves and crud between condensor and radiator.

Also, if the fins on the back of your condensor (air conditioner radiator) are squashed flat, then maybe it is impeding air flow too much when you are stationary.

Another thought may be to just take it out alltogether and dissconnect the airconditioning system. hehehe...less weight, less power being sucked, can only be good ;) The only thing would be if you had an auto, in which case you would have to install a tranny cooler.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have already removed the condensor as it was bashed in at the back the thermostate is new less then 5000KM (spos it wont hurt to replace) and what do you htink about a flex fan instead of the clutch fans or would I be better leaving it as is. I also have the piping for a oil cooler I might reconect it when I can get a radiator for it.

·
I Love Forced Induction.
569 Posts
Hey bro sounds like your having the same prob as me, remove the clutch fan and put in some el thermos, run through a thermo switch, adjust thermo switch to correct temp so fans switch on. if that fails, get the radiator flushed.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
I have a few good clutch fans if you wanted to try swapping one as a cheap option...

·
Often has bolts left over
848 Posts
if you're confident with this sort of thing take the radiator out. the side tanks are plastic, and are held on with two clips. get them off and you'll be looking down the radiator lines. you'll probably find the radiator side tanks are filled with a sandy type substance, this is actually coolant that has broken down. you can have a crack at rodding it with the dipstick (its the perfect size!), but be very careful as its easy to poke a hole. just rod the ones that are slightly blocked and leave the really bad ones.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Actually on a lot of the EAs my understanding is it's casting sand, certainly looks like it to me :p This I believe as most of the blocks on the 3.9s seem to have decks which are not straight - from factory!

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
i think the straightness of the deck might be more to do with 'seasoning' of the block, more than an actual machining issue - repeated heating and cooling of the block causes all the little stresses that are cast into the block when it is cast makes the block move and deform slightly - this is actually a good thing, it kind of 'relaxes' the block, so when you give it a slight machine and a rebuild to turbo the crap out of it all your carefully measured clearances are more accurate.

there is actually a machine that does this 'seasoning' i think it uses sound waves or vibrations or something.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
there is actually a machine that does this 'seasoning' i think it uses sound waves or vibrations or something.
My girlfriend has got one of them things :)

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
think the straightness of the deck might be more to do with 'seasoning' of the block, more than an actual machining issue - repeated heating and cooling of the block causes all the little stresses that are cast into the block when it is cast makes the block move and deform slightly - this is actually a good thing, it kind of 'relaxes' the block, so when you give it a slight machine and a rebuild to turbo the crap out of it all your carefully measured clearances are more accurate.

Sounds reasonable, my question is just why is it only the 3.9s and almost never the 4L blocks, I reckon there must be something dodgy about the metal used or something in that case...

·
Hanging Around
1,209 Posts
Nah, i think its just which one you get out of the basket-
The inlaws cfi EA has done a touch over 230,000, and the head has never been touched, My EB did 160,000 and an additional 10,000 with the blower and only just started to go when i reconned the motor, and yet we've done EF's as early as 100,000

Its just luck of the draw i think

Same as the old Xf's with big ends machined a few thou smaller than the bearings they installed at the factory, almost every XF in 86/87 had big end noise.

Probably poor quality control, considering the XD's and XE's never died.

Who knows what goes on in the factory - it will prob explain why my block had a 3.9 sticker on it, but yet it is definately a 4.0 ??????

Still, its better than owning a VN, they rattle themselves apart from around 70,000km's
bloody busses are quieter than the majority of them

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
Still, its better than owning a VN, they rattle themselves apart from around 70,000km's
ROFLMAO!!!!

·
848 Posts
i was under the impression it was casting sand also, but the radiator place i bought a new radiator off of rekoned it would have been broken down coolant. EA radiators arnt really worth saving to be honest, you can get a new one for under $200.

·
848 Posts
the other thing was that my EA2 had this sand in it, and its a 9/90 build. i was also under the impression that the casting sand was only an early problem.

·
cArSiK
1,249 Posts
i dont want to sound stupid but where can i find the condensor?

James

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Me with Rollin on this one :)

Carsik - condensor is the round canister in front of the radiator. Connected to a small, separate radiator for the a/c. Usually leaves etc get stuck between the a/c radiator and the engine radiator, causing hotnessTM. :s6:

Usually if you're flexible you can clean it out with a screwdriver/butter knife.

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
the condensor is actually the small radiator looking thing that is in front of the radiator, the little round thing you are talking about is called the reciever/drier.

not reciever OR drier, you say it like "reciever/drier"

its purpose is basicly like a filter - it gets out all the little bits of metal and impurities in the gas, as well as removing the moisture from it.

dont ask me how the moisture gets in there in the first place, as it is a sealed system under pressure, but every car with ac has one so it must do something.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
the condensor is actually the small radiator looking thing that is in front of the radiator, the little round thing you are talking about is called the reciever/drier.
Yeah OK my bad :p

·
cArSiK
1,249 Posts
ok , i just took a look and there is NO smaller radiator type device infront ,or behind my radiator - i do obviously have A/c where else can i look for it on an ED?

James

1 - 20 of 22 Posts