Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, What's involved in replacing the hydraulic lash adjusters on an '89 3.9 CFI motor. I posted this elsewhere and got no responses so I'm trying here. It looks easy enough to get to the point of having the rockers on the bench but I'm not sure if the adjusters can be replaced on there own or do I have to replace the entire rockers. Do I need any 'factory tools'? How about preoiling and/or preloading the new adjusters? Just need to know what I'm in for before I tear it down.

Nigel

·
wants a manual!
1,461 Posts
you wont need to replace the whole rocker just pull the lifters out of them and either use new ones or get the old ones cleaned, replace the plastics and re oiled. make sure when you put them back in that the washer has the dot facing the top of the rocker and also make sure that the lifters have been bled

·
wants a manual!
1,461 Posts
if you do the lifters yourself make sure that when you pull the lifters apart dont mix up the piston and outside bit of the lifter itself as they vary slightly in sizes and they wont work properly otherwise. once clean dip them in a thin oil and place the spring in then the piston. hold them together and use a thin nail to push the little ball bearing in the middle of the piston but only enough so the piston slides in but is still hard then squeeze them together again and push the ball bearing again and some oil will drip out and the lifter will become springy when you squeze it together then put your new plastics on and then you have reco lifters. make sure that they spring freely and are not sticky or click when you press them

1 - 5 of 5 Posts