Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5.0L V8 NC Fairlane and am looking at small things I can do to make the fuel economy a bit better.

Ideas anyone...

I have heard that the early 90s Windsors run quite rich... How true is this? If so how can it be fixed?

Any ideas appreciated.

Maybe it has something to do with their breathing problems when stock...

·
100MPH Hunter
1,045 Posts
Do 2 things and you can fix it. For starters all moedern EFI cars run richer than they should to help protect the engine

1. Good filter with cold air intake.
2. Unichip will give you more power and better fuel economy

You could also get an exhaust system, this will make the car grumble a little more. Also, try to use a 95+ RON Fuel like Optimax or BP Ultimate, especially if you get the chip.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
What TwinPiston said ^^^^^

It would pay to get your AFR checked as well after any mods, I have seen way too many Windsors with simple exhaust mods running terrifyingly lean in the top end - blowing lots of crap out the exhaust, pinging their rings off, etc. A little bit of richness never hurt anyone!!!

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
Yes, the general concensus is that they do tend to run rich from factory. That said, each car is different, and might have problems causing to run lean instead . . .

For $13 (or you can use a DMM ), you can get a rough idea of the AFR - Jaycar does a kit that shows rich / lean... http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=55037

Of course this is only a general indicator, but a dyno place or mechanic should be able to tell you more accurately...

I'd be checking it, before making plans on fixing it :)

·
100MPH Hunter
1,045 Posts
Just get your work done at recommended mechanic

1 - 5 of 5 Posts