Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you up there can us first hand details??? I guess it was a 6.4 . I hope everyone is okay!
 

·
Mod/Ranger Member
Joined
·
131 Posts
Sounds like everyone is ok just "shook up". I have been through many earthquakes here in Alaska but not a 7.0. Good thing they have good building codes. Hope everything is cleaned up when I get down there in a couple of weeks.
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope everybody is fine. My sister is either there or in Portland, hope she calls soon...
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im listening to the news as I type, 25 people hospitalized, 4 serios injuries, noone died thank God. It lasted for 45 seconds. No injuries in Portland wo hoo :).
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RGONOT said:
Sounds like everyone is ok just "shook up". I have been through many earthquakes here in Alaska but not a 7.0. Good thing they have good building codes. Hope everything is cleaned up when I get down there in a couple of weeks.
Hey RGONOT, I see you work for the Alaska Railroad.. What part of Alaska are
you living in?

I spent about nine years in Alaska, worked for the University of Alaska Computer
Network up in Fairbanks, but also spent some time in Anchorage. Also spent one
summer working for the Alaska Railroad, was living in Moose Pass, down on the
Kenai Pen.. That was quite an experience. :)
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ProbeBandit said:
I hope everybody is fine. My sister is either there or in Portland, hope she calls soon...
Hey my sister lives in Portland also in West Lynn to be exact. But she called as soon as the quake was done shakeing her nerves( funny part is she moved up north is to get away from the frequency of Earthquakes). But she says the Portland area is okay, just alot of shaken nerves
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea thats typical of my sister, now that we are worried she wont call for days... But everybody is fine in Portland ;)!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,560 Posts
Hi ho Hi ho it is off to Seatle I go. My company has a sister site up there and I get to go and help out with the clients in that area. :(

I dont mind the travel, but this is not what I wanted to do this week. SO off to the airport in a hour and I will be there for a week or so. Lots of companies we service are down and the company does not have the man power to handle the problems.

So you guys have fun I will be checking in every now and then to make sure the site has not been overrun with post whores. ;)

i will give updates and post some pics as I get them.

LunaticSS
 

·
Mod/Ranger Member
Joined
·
131 Posts
P71Times2 said:


Hey RGONOT, I see you work for the Alaska Railroad.. What part of Alaska are
you living in?

I spent about nine years in Alaska, worked for the University of Alaska Computer
Network up in Fairbanks, but also spent some time in Anchorage. Also spent one
summer working for the Alaska Railroad, was living in Moose Pass, down on the
Kenai Pen.. That was quite an experience. :)
I live in Eagle River. I work in Anchorage as the Yardmaster. I used to be a conductor. Been with the RR for 10 years now. Small world isnt it. What did you do for the RR (section)? I hate the winters in Fairbanks, spent to many up there working on the trains and in the cold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,859 Posts
Glad not that many people got hurt. It could've been much worse, did you know that the actually quake happen 30mi below the Earths surface.
 

·
Grumpy old man
Joined
·
126 Posts
I'm about 30 miles north of Seattle and the epicenter was 30 miles south of Seattle. We felt it really hard. It was a big roller. I've been in a few before (I was in LA in '87 for the Whittier quake) and this was the second worst I've ever experienced. The preliminary damage estimates are running around a Billion dollars. Lots of facades falling off of buildings, collapsed roofs, cracked roads, landslides, damaged bridges, etc. Both Sea-Tac and Boeing Field were closed down due to tower and runway damage. 100+ people treated at area hospitals. 4 serious quake-related injuries. One man died of a quake-induced heart attack. Combine this with the Mardi Gras riots of the last week and it's not a very good time around here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,859 Posts
Yeah, ya'll have been through the ringer in the last week or so. Hope everyones family and friends are ok. I know about distruction. The neighborhood I live in was hit by Tornadoes 2 yrs in a row. First year the new part of the subdivison, following year the older part.
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RGONOT said:


I live in Eagle River. I work in Anchorage as the Yardmaster. I used to be a conductor. Been with the RR for 10 years now. Small world isnt it. What did you do for the RR (section)? I hate the winters in Fairbanks, spent to many up there working on the trains and in the cold.
Winters in Fairbanks were wonderful (not). I remember plugging the
vehicles in at night, battery blankets, circulating heaters, air bubbles
on the windows, frozen wheel bearing, all the fun stuff... Guy I knew
owned a couple of those "steam trucks" that went around to unthaw
frozen cars and trucks. He made a fortune I bet. :)

When we worked out of Moose Pass on the railroad for the summer we
were the 'grunts' I guess you would call it. Spend the whole summer
going up and down the track replacing old track and rails.. Think I must
have hammered in two zillion of those spikes LoL
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LunaticSS said:


So you guys have fun I will be checking in every now and then to make sure the site has not been overrun with post whores. ;)


Little too late for that, dont ya think???

Ok guys the boss is gone lets party! :D j/k

Dont worry we'll try to keep the whoring under control.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top