Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, apart from exhaust and cam what is the easiest way to get a bit more grunt out of an XF EFI without having to get a new comp, or obtain use of an eec tuner?

Cheers.

Paul.

M

·
0 Posts
(\/)ADXF said:
Just wondering, apart from exhaust and cam what is the easiest way to get a bit more grunt out of an XF EFI without having to get a new comp, or obtain use of an eec tuner?

Cheers.

Paul.
Finally a fellow XF enthusiast - Paul, drop kick the efi six and go for 5.0 efi power like mine - ex mustang motors are plentiful and cheap - if yours is efi you use most of the bits - drops straight in......very easy.

;) ;) ;)

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I love XF's. Old shape but with new goodies
I was actually thinking of modding the 6 but if the 5.0 is so easy to get and drop in maybe that will be the way I go.
Only prob is only being 20, so insurance can cost alot.

Where abouts are these motors, how much and what condition are they in?

M

·
0 Posts
(\/)ADXF said:
Yeah, I love XF's. Old shape but with new goodies
I was actually thinking of modding the 6 but if the 5.0 is so easy to get and drop in maybe that will be the way I go.
Only prob is only being 20, so insurance can cost alot.

Where abouts are these motors, how much and what condition are they in?

Parts Peddler magazine, trading post,(online as well, type in 5.0 as your search under car parts and accessories) thats where I found mine(im in sydney, the motor from adelaide freighted) look at $2500 - $3,000 for a 87 - 93 5.0 efi without box, eb v8 auto or manual bellhousing depending what you want, or even if you score a local 5.0 efi(xr or fairlane) its the same thing. Whoever you buy from usually offer warranties. They are either re co or low kays - had to get 9 inch to suit - 2 grand new or get second hand - well worth the effort.............looks like an 's' except for the wheels and exhaust - a great hsv hunter....

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do they sell thim with computer and harness?

If I was to do this, I would be looking at getting the 5.0 from wherever, a T5 to sit behind it, and a borgy 4 pin LSD diff.

I guessing about $4500 tops for this.

How hard is it to get an engineers cert for the mods?

M

·
0 Posts
(\/)ADXF said:
Do they sell thim with computer and harness?

If I was to do this, I would be looking at getting the 5.0 from wherever, a T5 to sit behind it, and a borgy 4 pin LSD diff.

I guessing about $4500 tops for this.

How hard is it to get an engineers cert for the mods?
They are sold with harnesses and computers. also with all serpentine belt accessories...dont buy them without any of this because it will take you years to accumulate these bits otherwise.

Bellhousing, eb - el v8, new clutch about $500 - 600 (expensive), and an XF t5 will bolt straight on the eb bellhousing. Engine mounts from v8 XD (bolt in), and use manual tailshaft and xe v8 diff if you are on a budget.

Exhaust has to be fabricated, I saved money using good used HSV cats if you are post 86 model.Mine is on unleaded.

Your EFI fuel system will do the work, the pump in the tank will handle the v8, as will all your lines - too easy. I went for the larger fairlane tank and pump - mine was carby, so I had to put the efi fuel system all in - you dont.

Got the wiring done by a mate, should cost $400 - $600 to make it work.

$4500 will see you through, give or take a few dollars - IF YOU DO IT MOSTLY YOURSELF. Its not hard.

Engineer I used also approves kit cobras using the same engines.Easy to get approved, all brakes/ suspension/ crossmember same as xd & xe V8. Just need v8 front springs.Keep receipt of engine purchase to verify make & age of engine.(smog reasons)They are happy as long as you use later model engine to meet emission requirements.

Stock 5.0 HO mustang motors are good for about 170 - 180 kw, more if you get extractors and a K & N sports conical filter (smog approved) .......because XF's are lighter, should go as well as AU XR8 for 1/6 th of the price - now go and embarrass some people........

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
If your going to do the V8 conversion you may as go all the way and get a 351W EFI, standard diff will be alright (XF is the same one as in XDs and XEs) T-5 wont be strong enough but a 4 speed single rail would be ok though.

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah, I'll just stick with a 5.0 for the time being. It will start out its life being in front of a borgy single rail, then later move onto a T5 unless I decide that the 5.0 is not enough, then it will stay a single rail.

The diff that is in my car is, I think, only a 2 pin LSD (2.77:1), I will be changing it to a 4 pin and 3.23:1 ratio.

Paul.

M

·
0 Posts
Martin said:
If your going to do the V8 conversion you may as go all the way and get a 351W EFI, standard diff will be alright (XF is the same one as in XDs and XEs) T-5 wont be strong enough but a 4 speed single rail would be ok though.

I looked at this before deciding not to go 351 for a number of reasons:

1) engineer said no because 351 perceived power output too high for conversion recommendations - I argued that XD / XE had 351, he said yes, but issue was 351 efi standard power output was much higher than the old smog carbie 5.8's in xd & xe - in other words he said not to attract too much scrutiny, and go the 5.0 - seeing he was doing the conversion, who was I to argue, I wanted it passed.....interestigly enough the roller cam 5.0 HO mustang motor standard power output was line ball with an XD / XE 351anyway, which is why 5.0 was passed.......

2) he said also that if I was serious about displacement, after it was passed, put in a 347 stroker kit and no - one will be the wiser
(wink wink)

3) I know its a small reason, but the thrify1 is one inch wider, about an inch taller and a bit heavier - performance parts are also slightly harder to get than the five o's .

4) go to your newsagents and get 5.0 MUSTANG magazine (american), read about the endless possibilities with the 5.0..........

5) The only difference between 6 and V8 t5's is first gear ratio. Structurally, they are all the same. I have an engineers letter from borg warner confiming this. No argument that T5's are not the worlds strongest boxes, but having 5 overdrive makes up for this, unless you plan on dragging the car everyday....

5 overdrive has allowed me to run 4.11 gears while still getting good top end speed as well. The mods Ive done to the 5.0 give me 220kw, and the 6 t5 originally out of the XF has not complained, even though ive had a few episodes with the enemy (HSV). The 4.11 gears also compensate for the "deficient" first gear ratio in the 6 T5.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
DONUT KING said:
More Ideas start to flow through DK's head......... ;) :D
DK - is your car already EFI or carb?
If you are after an EFI top end call this guy who has head and intake hardware for next to nix (Lee, Greenacre NSW, 02 97967210). The head will need overhaul, however it is cheap enough to make it worthwhile. You will of course remember that the EFI head is different to carby.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
Unfortunately it's a carby engine, If I had the patience to do it, I'd convert it to efi myself but I haven't got the time.
Thanks anyway.

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DK -
If you need a fuel pump, I have an XE in-tank fuel pump.
if you're interested, make an offer.

Max -
Have you got any pics of your beast?
Also what did you do about the Tacho after changing to the 5.0?

Paul.

M

·
0 Posts
(\/)ADXF said:
Max -
Have you got any pics of your beast?
Also what did you do about the Tacho after changing to the 5.0?

Paul. [/B]
No pics on disc, good idea though......sparky mate soughted out the taco with the re - wiring - dont ask me how, thats why I got him to do it - electrics look like a plate of spaghetti to me.

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fair enough then. I am fairly electro minded, so if I knew how to do it I could do it, I'm guessing that there must be an adjustment on the guage itself, but I dont know.
I am getting stuck between getting a standard 5.0 or getting an XR6 engine at the moment. I dont want a petrol guzzler, but I do want more power than what I already have.
I have seen low kay XR6 engines for about $1750.
I should probably think about it a bit more. I swear I am shocking at making up my mind.

Anyway thanks for the info you've given me.

Paul.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
An XR6 engine will use just as much fuel as an 5.0L EFI V8

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Really?
I have seen some figures from people that have had both and they say that they get about 17lt per 100km in city driving and 10-11lt highway driving and with the XR6 they get 12lt per 100 in city and as low as 7 highway driving.
Another thing that is holding me bak is that the old 5.0 were about 170-180kW and the XR6 engine is not far off that and is cheaper.

Paul.

M

·
0 Posts
(\/)ADXF said:
Another thing that is holding me bak is that the old 5.0 were about 170-180kW and the XR6 engine is not far off that and is cheaper.

Paul. [/B]
If you can get a complete (and when I say complete, I mean all accessories from fan to flywheel - including injection, computer and loom - everything) xr6 engine for $1750 then do it. My old man has an ef xr6 and that keeps him happy, although I keep hassling him about putting on a powerflow blower on it, but thats not cheap, but 250 kw would be better than 170........

I went the 5.0 way for a number of reasons.....

a) the noise....need I say more?

b) torque - I tow a boat and need it

c) true, 180 - 185kw is not much more than an xr6, but Ive added a bigger throttle body, 24 lb injectors, and a bigger mass air meter to get me to about 220 kw. Im also looking at a Vortech underbonnet blower a bit down the track which should keep me amused over the coming years..........

hope I haven't confused you more..........

:confused:

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My mums standard dual fuel Xf falcon Auto has towed our boat for 7 hours no hassle, except that with a bit of a head wind it wouldn't get over 110kph. The 6 still has buttloads of torque.
I agree that the sound from a V8 is a big decision changer, in fact that has almost got me, but the thing keepping me fom doing that is fuel economy.
Yeah, thats some easy power mods, but what's your fuel economy like now?
If thats all the mods that you have done, what would you expect the same mods to do to the 6?
The motor I saw advertised also included all other accesories, like power steerin pump, alternator etc. It may have been a one off but I'd say it is long gone now.

Paul.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts