Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking to buy an EB/ED Fairmont V8. Does anyone know what I should be looking for when i decide to purchase one. Also does anyone know all the good/bad points with the car.

Also being the first injected V8 did it have any problems at all?

Cheers
Matt

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
xf_xr6 said:
Also being the first injected V8 did it have any problems at all?

Cheers
Matt
Yeah - not enough power. But that can be fixed by heading to Herrods et al. One more thing - Fairmonts are all autos - are you sure!

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Re: Re: Eb Fairmont 5l

Aussie Pete said:

Yeah - not enough power. But that can be fixed by heading to Herrods et al. One more thing - Fairmonts are all autos - are you sure!
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt!!! :eek:

The correct answer is all Fairmonts from ED onwards were auto. I have seen 2 manual EB2 V8 Ghias, both factory!! :D

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Eb Fairmont 5l

el2xr8 said:

The correct answer is all Fairmonts from ED onwards were auto. I have seen 2 manual EB2 V8 Ghias, both factory!! :D
Yeah I knew EA and EB were available manual. But in reality, try finding one!

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Eb Fairmont 5l

Aussie Pete said:

Exactly, a very very rare beast indeed.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Eb Fairmont 5l

Aussie Pete said:

Very true, when we were looking for a second car in the family, we tried to look for an EA EB1 with the MultiPoint 3.9L in manual. Even that was a needle in a hay stack. We had to settle for a Manual EB1 Wagon TBI 120kw. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Abit pedestrian of the lights..

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit Dont tell me that dammit dammit dammit now dammit I dammint want a dammit EB dammit GHIA dammit v8 dammit instead dammit of dammit the dammit slug dammit auto dammit dammit dammit.

thanks elxr8 youve just ruined my day dammit:( :( :( :( :(

·
"Tickford- Own the road"
299 Posts
Things to look out for when purchasing a EA, EB, ED, EF, EL Falcon/Fairmont/Fairlane/XR/Gli/Futura/Ghia etc straight six and V8:

- worn upper and lower rear trailing arm bushes [especially EA's]
- leak at transmission rear extension housing seal
- leak at rear main engine seal [6 and 8]
- oily residue on or around front brake hoses [ABS models]
- leak at crankshaft seal [6 and 8]
- leak at welsh plugs [EA,B,D, or any with 250,000 kms +]
- backlash in diff

These are probably the most looked out for things by mechanics at rego time, and are not cheap to repair. There are thousands of other things to look out for but then we'd be here for days.

However, the best thing to do is to get a mechanic to check it out or get a N.R.M.A check. Good luck :nuts:

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your replies guys.

Unfortunately I have lost my license for 3 months so i have some time to put money in my little piggy bank to save up for my eb/ed fairmont 5L. I drove one ages ago and just fell in love with it straight away.

So anyway I'm currently selling my 2 cars, an XF s pac with the GHIA interior fully completed in it(ie dig. dash, elec windows, elc mirrors and all the BS that goes along with it) and a '80 corrolla. So if any of you guys have any offers leave a reply here.

BTW I'm in Perth.

Cheers
Matt

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Eb Fairmont 5l

el2xr8 said:

Very true. Saw a EB Manual V8 Fairmont Ghia at a dealership for $14990 last month.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts