Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Formerly EAII_Fairmont
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My EB has taken a tendancy to pinging a lot lately (ever since I put the auto back in).

If I am just cruising along, then put my foot down a bit, it pings for a second then stops and picks up. Also, off idle if I stomp on it a bit to get off the line in a hurry it pings. The timing is sitting smack bang on 10 deg BTDC in self-test mode. The car isn't running high octane fuel, but it's certainly not crappy stuff. I have also tried different fuel, but no help. I thought that the harmonic balancer may have slipped, so I backed the timing off a tad to about 8 deg and it ran like a biatch! Went back up to about 9 deg, bit better but still not acceptable, back to 10 deg and the bloody thing pings again! I don't think it's pinging at high revs at WOT, but then again I may not be able to hear it.

Any Ideas???

Daniel

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Sounds like timing or possibly top ends...

·
351 windsor for the xr
174 Posts
could me a map sensor like with my car still haven't changed it though.
Does it stink like rich at idle in park and a bit of a rough idle if it is it's a map sensor mine was pinging like yours and even in between gear changes.

·
351 windsor for the xr
174 Posts
could be a map sensor like with my car still haven't changed it though.
Does it stink like rich at idle in park and a bit of a rough idle if it is it's a map sensor mine was pinging like yours and even in between gear changes.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Try some water injection? It will clean up any carbon in combustion chambers..
Try colder plugs..Maybe cooler thermostate?Too much oil from pcv system can cause this also...

·
Registered
847 Posts
Chuck it on the dyno, my balancer has slipped so badly its not funny.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
My advice is to retard the timing a little tiny bit at a time until it quits pinging. If you lose a lot of power it may be running the wrong A/F ratio...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts