Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Rehab is for Quitters
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done extracrtor/exhaust on my EB 6 and am keen
to try some intake mods. I see from some of the other threads that there's been some discussion about the benefits (or otherwise) of the XH snorkel. Has anyone tried this and actually quantified the result? The (std) snorkel on my car is too hot to touch after a long drive, this must be heating the the intake air.
Any feedback would be appreciated (good and bad) on this or any other snorkel mods.
The Ford parts catalogue also lists a different part number for
the tube between the airbox and throttle body for the EB SS.
I think I remember from an old (I think it was Wheels) test that this tube was larger in diameter than the std part. I don't think
Ford would bother to put a part in production for such a limited
run of vehicles if there was no benefit. Has anyone played about with mods to the ducting between airbox and throttle body?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
hey
yeah well you could go a pod style filter and get rid of the air box or mod it so the pod filter stay's inside the airbox or you could go the xh snorkle it's an easy mod and pretty cheap.$30 or so for the snorkel and $x amount for a better filter.ive done this mod and i found it gave better throttle response but i don't haven't put a k&n filter in it yet.
ive got pics of mine there at http://groups.msn.com/myford/mods.msnw?albumlist=2

if ya got any ???'s just pm me or email me at [email protected]

·
EBII - Power and Glory
18 Posts
Rextus,

I have also just done the xh snorkle mod, with a o2rush filter. It appears like THEONE mentioned, that the throttle response is better and also the idle rpm's are now lower and that it will rev slightly higher in each gear.

Ive only had it on for a week, but at this point in time it appears as though it may improve my fuel consumption...will update that in the future.

·
Registered
847 Posts
hey tuff eb dude i need some money if ya want that air scoop dude :) its all done if ya want it

·
EBII - Power and Glory
18 Posts
Hey all,

Just another quick question in regards to this matter, did the XH Ute come in the form of an XR6 model, and if so, was the intake snorkel the same ???

Thanxs in advance........

·
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII
472 Posts
Intake Mods

Hey mate,

Yeah I have done the mods your talking about, the snorkel is from the XH, cost me $25 from FORD, thats trade price, and am also running the new K&N air panel filter.

Throttle response is much better down low, and when u want to overtake over 100km/h, it does feel alot crisper. It doesnt throw you into the back of the seat but it is way better than standard. The only problem I had with the EBII was that I had to hacksaw the radiator shroud at the top where the new inlet for the pipe was to sit. No big drama all is a nice fit, looks factory

ViGiLaNtE

·
HYPER-6
593 Posts
with my ebII i have taken the air box out completely and have put a k&n pod filter on the end of the rubber tube coming from the throttle body that originally connected to the air box. better throttle response and sounds great.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
love that setup Rollin'
i wonder if it makes a different, surely it would!

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
i also trimmed the rubber seal on the passenge side of the bonnet to allow airflow in between the headlight and the bonnet, again, probably makes no difference whatsoever but meh...

the best bit about a pod is the sound :D

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
The other thing you can do is drill a big hole under your airbox and run it out under the headlight to the front bumper with a bit of 90mm pipe or something - that way it looks stock still and the cops can't whinge!

·
Registered
847 Posts
This comes from Rollin but he hasnt mentioned it so, check to see if the rubber piping from the airbox to the throttle body has a venturi at the airbox side (small 1.5" opening, increasinig to 3") if you have one of these go to a wrecker and get one of an EA MPI or NA Fairlane MPI as it is 3" all the way through.

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
The other thing you can do is drill a big hole under your airbox and run it out under the headlight to the front bumper with a bit of 90mm pipe or something - that way it looks stock still and the cops can't whinge!
good plan, but i have a dirty big ABS module in the way, so thats not a possibility...i did have that setup in my first EB, which didnt have ABS.

·
Formerly ef_ghiaI6
676 Posts
you guys know what snorkel i can put on a eb v8??
is there a better one then the standard eb v8 alreadyt on there ?

·
On the 7th God Made Ford
98 Posts
Most exhaust Places will Fabricate you a Custom Intake for a Pod that will lead down to in fron of the radiator. If your really Game U could do it your self with Piping or sumfing. I also heard that its something like 1degree over good temp into the intake is like a 6% overall power loss so this is definetely something to take into consideration. Maybe even fitting ef/el bonnet vents to help keep under the bay kewl? www.SSV.com.au are offering EL GT scoops for the bonnet at a cheap price too.

·
eat's VLs for breakfast
14 Posts
a mate of mine had an ambitious plan to fit an el bonnet vent that was lined up to the airbox underneath. He then planned to have the airbox open, but sealed up against the bonnet and install a pod filter inside. This was in an an EL Fairmont 5l but he never went ahead with it... pity really

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is the setup ive got on my ED as you can see all ive done is what has been suggested before and got rid of the box all together and put a k&n filter on the intake. As you can see it gets some cold air from the hole for the headlight and also like what has been said before i did add a bit more response and torque i think, oh yeah and sounds great too. I am going to set something up to get direct air soon but i am very lazy!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts