Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to begin some major enhancement to my project car, am wanting to end up supercharged but this is the best I can afford for now - goes in Wednesday for :

EL XR6 Head
New performance CAM
EL Inlet Manifold
3inch stainless intake pipe(for existing pod filter)
Headers (coby)
2.5` Exhaust with twin exit
New Rings and Bearings

The builder reckons around 185kw when finished, he has done exactly the same to his EL falcon. He took me for a spin on saturday and I was sold. Any Kiwis online I can recommend a True Ford man for any mods you may desire......
Will let you know if my expectations are met.
KSK

·
Registered
13 Posts
kiwi skid kid,
hope you dont mind me asking you but how much is this venture going to cost minus the exhuast, sounds like a good idea looking at getting some more KW's for my ED.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No worries

Tickford Head $700
Inlet Manifold $175
CAM $300
Gasket Set $160
Bottom end reco $600 approx
Labour is $630 but thats for the exhaust aswell.

The 3inch intake pipe is $120 out of mild steel, but I have asked for Stainless so I can polish it up, so the guy is working out a price, hopefully it shouldnt be too much more.

This is NZ$. I still have the option of looking at a chip later on down the track when the need for speed kicks in again. Also am waiting on a price for a 3.77 LSD to help quarter mile times and adjust for slight cam drag at take off.
KSK

P

·
0 Posts
Just a thought? Instead of running inlet around like a hockey stick,how about running it straight off the throttle body and on the other side of the motor leaving heaps less bends.Especially if you are going to use a cone type filter.Only draw back I can see is room.Then have air pick up from under wheel arch/inner guard as in W.R.X inlet thats fed from front brake scoop..

P

·
0 Posts
Were in N.Z do you live k.s.k.
Me:Ex Morrinsville been here over 20 years,but now both sides of the ditch..Winter's are better here.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hey Skid Kid, how will the EL twin scroll inlet manifold be actuated by your EECIV ECU?
You realise its run by the computer.

May I suggest for a cam the Crow Cam replacement for the EL XR6, much lumpier, rougher idle, but HEAPS big power gain from idle to redline, and if you do put in the EL ECU, get the XR one.

As for the diff, the XR 3.77 is great, but a cheap alternative is the 3.27 stnd diff that runs on EF-EL yours is 3.08, too tall for the car. The 3.27 is a great all round ratio.

And definitely run a cold air scoop system but be carefull of ram pods, try to use the EEC IV air box and check out the pictures in the Tech page for cold air scoop.

Suggest pacemeker headers, or H&M with the built in cat.

You should be getting more like 195kw if done
properly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
KSK, those are some good mods for the EB2 motor & I agree with Redwards on the cold air, the 4.0L responds well to this set-up.
As for the ratios, been there - done that. I've currently got 3.73s on my XR8 (never heard of 3.77,) & would recommend this combo on an 8 but with my brothers old EB2-6(5spd), 3.45 was the way to go - Best compromise for highway/drags & when its in you don't spend extra ($200) on recallibrating the speedo/odometer. From memory the first EBs were 3.27 later (non-XR) EB2s, EL,EF sixes were 3.23, XR6 went to 3.45. I guess what I'm saying is stick within the BTR range of ratios (3.27, 3.45, 3.73, 3.91 etc) & you won't have to modify diff housings. While they're there, get them to make sure your LSD cones (if you've got LSD) are in order so you don't get the all to common 'Ford diff hammer.' Good luck.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Auto EF and EL had 3.08 Diff, and so did the ED. Manual EF and EL were 3.23, EB II and ED were 3.27.
Auto EB I was 3.23 and EB II was 3.27.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Paul, Glad to here another kiwi... I`m from Auckland.. Dont know about the inlet going to the other side though as this would be getting close to the headers , heaps more heat, and room is a real issue.

Hi redwards, not sure about the twin scroll set up...this guy has done alot of these conversions and doesnt change the ECU. The CAM has been designed by a crowd out in pukekohoe who have been working with peter (the engine builder) to get the best out of these 4.0ltr engines... Peter is a true ford freak and is also working on a stroker kit for it. Why do you say to be careful of RAM pod...this is what I already have and I love it. And no CAT for exhaust required in NZ...YET!

Hi Rat.... Your right 3.45LSD is probably the best all round..I currently have a 3.27 so Martin is right...!

Cheers all
KSK

P

·
0 Posts
The XR's have a lower ratio 3:27 to 3:45 std
Forte etc had 3:08 especialy the auto's

M

·
0 Posts
In reply to KIWI SKID KID modifications. i have a EB FAIRMONT GHIA. i was wondering if anyone knew of any people in victoria that specialize in preformance fords, that can complete such a conversion. I am looking for around 185 kw. thankyou heaps oh fellow ford desciples.

·
Registered
25 Posts
eb ghia...Herrod Automotive in Melbourne
are the people to see regarding any modifications to your ford donk..

I had a Stage 3 cam, extractors, 2.5 inch exhaust, k+n filter and t series snorkel fitted to my ef Fairmont in one day..they do a dyno run before, and after any mods performed..they really know their stuff, with good after sales support

S

·
0 Posts
Anyone read AutoSpeed online mag? There is a EB or ED in there that has intake pipe removed and has a pod sitting right in the throttle body. A heat sheild under it to keep the rocker cover heat away and a lowish old v8 intake scoop in center of the bonnet. Looks like a v8 from outside the car. and the scoop feeds cold air straight to the pod.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Yeah Slim I saw that XR6, but my bet is that even with the scoop and heat shield it would still be sucking more hot air than with the old airbox.
As we all know heat rises and that pod filter is mounted at the highest point in the engine bay.
Atleast with the Airbox your about as far away from the exhaust a possible.

But it doesnt help that Ford for some reason mounted the throttle body towards the exhaust manifold on EF-onwords Falcons. The air has to do a 180degree turn for god sakes!
The EFI XF is just as bad!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts