Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, well as the title of the thread suggests, tibbo and myself with plety 'O' help from scarecrow420(OCA) have converted my car from el-stocko intake manifold to an EL Dual Runner System woot.

All in all it went very well, with the engine starting and idleing fine in 1 and a bit days. We started on Sunday at 17:30 and started the car first time at 21:05 the next day. While this seems like a long time we took it pretty casually taking time to polish the cover a bit and spray a few things here and there. Each day had its various wierd mission or bastard job ie day one ended when there was a bastard wire connection that we were all to tired to attempt.

Day two's problem was the last three manifold bolts that were a bisnatch to get to and took ages due to the wonderful 1/3 turn we got weeee and also i picked the wrong fuel lines as i figured the regulator was at the start of flow whoops so for punishment i copped a face full of fuel and the wall copped it too, I couldnt help but laugh as i felt and pulled may way out from under the car with fuel poolled in my eye sockets, up my nose and in my mouth. I even knew it was coming and closed my eyes and put my face out as far as i could but to no avail. but it ran well with no obvious problems and we called it a night with just the pedel to reattach and accel cable to mount to rocker cover.

Here is Day 3's problem. Go to get a bolt for cable bracket from ford and get the reply sorry mate it's a non-servicable part, we dont have any. I gave him a dismayed look and a what the **** you dont even have one lying around and he is like nup. so it takes me most of the day to get a bolt coz of airport duties, delays and lost luggage BAH!!!!!. get back fit it all ang go for a drive...

THE REWARD... OMFG it goes like shit on a shovel, so much pickup and fuel econ is even better on initial indications and this is with it locked in Long runner position. If i blip the throttle while going sixty im instantly going 80 so this may be a problem points wise ;) This mod is by far the best mod that has been done and the best part is we did it ourselves.

Down the track I would like to set this up properly using an EL ECU. Has anyone done this, Soxx maybe with your XH. What would I need apart from the ECU, im thinking a knock sensor but is there anything else more involved that im missing. I will post up some pics in a sec.

6pAc.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a few fitting pics I will take a few better ones when ive tidied up a bit...
OLD

NEW

and

more to come, Oh by the way the GENUINE steel lower thermostat housing gasket caused the lower housing to snap real easy so get a dodgy paper one IMO.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
looks good mate well done now come do mine

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks even better now i have tidied the engine bay up a bit, I will post some new pics up later tonight after work, Can somebody spot whats not right in the picture?

6pAc

·
Gonna fit a twin cam
356 Posts
is that the ea isc you have used? If it is, dont launch to hard, or you will end up with a nuce "power bulge" in your bonnet!

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
yeah best i can see, you have all ea gear still being used, only change appears to be intake tube, air box, manifold, thermostat etc ?

Did you just rebend the dipstick tube for the oil ?

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
we used:-

off an EL:
The mainfold
Airbox
Upper thermostat housing
Top radiator hose
Fuel Rail
Fuel lines with a clamp onto the underbody factory steel lines
Alloy rocker cover and gasket <-- of course
Rubber concertina joiner (although AU is the same)
Oil filler tube (which reminds me to check the dipstick lengths)
**EL throttle cable and bracket
**EL stepper motor or isc
** not installed in these piccies as we just wanted to do a test start to check for vacuum leaks etc

AU intake pipe

The ED bits we reused:-
The ED loom
6pacs original injectors and
10mm ignition leads
Lower thermostat housing as it had 2 more sensors mounted in it than the EL one
The steel heater pipe that runs under the manifild due to the EL being too hard to get out.. :AAHHH:
ED dome nuts for fastening the rocker cover with grommits and washers fitted

All in all a great little mod that seems to compliment the crazy cam 6pac runs in this beast

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
6pAc|30nG|00n said:
It looks even better now i have tidied the engine bay up a bit, I will post some new pics up later tonight after work, Can somebody spot whats not right in the picture?

6pAc
It'll be one of those "smack yourself on the head when you find out" things. Things like this make me see red.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
As for whats wrong

Ive noticed in those pics the throttle cables arnt connected.
It no longer has the 'strut' bar, and instead for some reason, the strut bar brackets are mounted to the rocker cover.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hehehe martin you got it when we put on the cover and seal with some goo (betwwen seal and rocker cover) we realised the top caps arnt long enough so we shimmed two using the shims from the strut brace install and used the strut brace mounts itself to place pressure downwards in the middle to bolts. it all looks normal now, those pics were taken when we were ready to turn the key for the first time.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
now now play nice, the job was actually quite easy if you go slow and pay attention to the different looms and wiring lengths, plug differences etc. Of course I'm sure that if tibbo or myself had to do it again or help someone else out it would be much quicker.

Im going to get the car onto the dyno ASAP to see what its doing and maybe play with timing etc to get the most out of the manifold even if only locked in long runner position for the time being.

Also if anyone would know what is EXACTLY needed to be done to get it running properly using an EEC5, not just speculation.

6pAc.

BTW better pics up in the morn sometime.

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Sounds interesting, although to be honest, I have no idea what the actual changes do or how they benefit performance (it's my lack of technical knowledge). Can I ask if it was an expensive conversion?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the manifold fairy (aka tibbo) left it on my doorstep and when i woke up OMG IT'S A MANIFOLD ON MY DOORSTEP kind of woot took control of me and i had to do a jig round the lounge, we started and got it in that arvo.

Overall cost, im still waiting on a price from tibbo on a few things but so far less that 100 bucks. Im not sure what they cost but you could get one from a wreak pretty easy, get an el one with loom.

I have some finished pics coming in a sec as i just have to finish grabbing video from summernats and the drags last wednesday.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When the manifold fairy gives you a manifold, loom, airbox etc, which i still owe him for and thus so far under 100 my costs so far:

$32 lower thermo housing.
$16 paper Filter
$4 Degreaser
$0.54 washers
$4.98 m6 bolts (DAMN U FORD)
$9 EF top Radiator hose
$7 long 10mm spanner

There will be some more cost but that is yet to come i stil need a new K&N and BAXR6T snorkel and cruise cable.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here finally are some pics of it completed tidied etc.

and

and

and finally

Edit I just noticed 2 of those pics have the older ISC on it it is now the new one for tidiness more than anything, clearence was not an issue at all on the old one.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts