Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guy i got my new car last wednesday (ED fairmont) was working fine i put my cd player and amp in worked fine then the car wouldn't start

i figured it was probably smart lock so i left it on for 30 mins and it started fine so i turned it off and it would start again ,it had an add on alarm but i got the shits with it and ripped it out
I joined all the wires back together again,and it still won't start,i had a few mates come over and have a look at it and we found there is no spark,does smartlock stop it from sparking im just trying to play the elimination game,if it doesn't stop the spark it would have to be either
coil,dizzy ,dis cap or ..... what can someone please help me and also how much do all thoes thing cost ??

cheers guys jarrod

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Mate, did you check all the fuses? Me and a mate installed a CD player in his EL and the same thing happened and we later found out that it was one of the fuses blew.

I can bet thats the problem.

Cheers,
Gary.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope check all the fuses about 1000,000000,000000 times

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
If you installed new audio equipment, I take it that you disconnected the battery? If so, I would just double check to make sure it is connected back properly. I had a few problems with my car not getting enough voltage through because I didn't connect the terminals tightly/properly enough. Simple and stupid, I know. But anything's worth a try, right?!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive done it check everything 1000,000 times over

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
LOL - Join NRMA roadside assistance, and tell them it won't start, but it did last time you drove it!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did that they couldn't get it started

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
Ouch - have you tried putting the old stereo back in??

I presume it drove fine before hand - I wouldn't go and buy new dis cap, coil etc just yet. Does one of your mates have the same type of car as you, so you can borrow his coil, etc??

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Did you connect ALL the wires for the stereo up, or were there some you didnt use, maybe that is causing the problem.

Jason

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep tried the other cd player

there are a few wires left over

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
prob somewhere

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
So the car has run (be it only once) since you did the stereo work?
Has it run at all since you pulled the alarm out?

Maybe you re-instal the old alarm as exactly where it came from and see if it starts then?

You might have pulled a wire for the green and brown relays under the header tank out of its craddle... it will not be visible but might not be making contact so take the relays off and repush and gently crimp all the connections firmly into the housing.. Plug the relays back in and try that..Its free can't hurt

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
I did this same thing to my car basically, it wouldnt start and the brake fail light would stay on at full ingition position, but no life at all in the motor, turned out a KILL switch that I did not put in, a wire come out the back of it, so cut the ignition, after pulling the WHOLE dash out again (was fixing a/c and heater probs), and then the wiring loom apart, I found the problem, trace all the wires from the ignition barrel back as far as possible, and check them for power, i think you find the answer :0)

Jason

·
Registered
1 Posts
sorry to dig up an old thread,

however i'm having the exact same problems as listed here, Did anyone find a solution?? I really need to get this car working and back together before monday lol.

Thanks alot,
Ashlin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts