Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like to know and to warn others, if any1, has any probs with the clutch cable tunnel on the firewall as mine as rip right through, was there any recall in the past on this problem? And yes a did have a heavy duty clutch but surely this isnt meant to happen!

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Hi,

I had the exact same problem almost 2 years ago.

The clutch was adjusted so tight that it cracked the firewall. Everyone was telling me that the clutch was the problem (the reason why they kept adjusting the clutch cable)

Actually turned out to be the pedal box. the metal rod that the clutch pedal sits on was bent(this is very common on EA - EL). After I got the new pedal box - everything was sweet.

:)
Kelli S

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
Since we r on the subject ... my ED clutch pedal was starting to get darn hard to push so i changed the 2 small plastic/nylon sleeves hoping it would fix it... NOPE
I later noticed the pedal pivot pin had actually cracked the plate that holds it in (spot welded) so I tried to remove the whole bloody thing & what a pain in the proverbial. So i ended up getting it mig welded in situ all looked good til i noticed the underfelt under the dash was glowing yellow & smoldering, so grabbed the fire extinguisher ( which all u folks should have) aimed & let it rip.... Well for crying out load it was a dry powder job inwhich went more in me face than the fire. And for those of you that didnt know dry powder has a serious laxative effect which pretty much had me on my a** for the rest of the arvo!!!! All in all the clutch is fixed now & is a whole lot smoother than b4 !!!!!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
This is so common that you can buy re-enforcement plates from Ford...

K

·
0 Posts
Hehe, been there done that. We had a bit of discussion on this some time ago. I went through the whole process of swapping the old pedal box for a new one as well as a new clutch pedal seeing as the original was getting worn. Bitch of a job as the dash has to be dropped.

J

·
0 Posts
Anyone got a part number for thos re-enforcment plates??? I've asked ford about them before and all i got was blank looks...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome to the club Bill, 6s/8s makes no difference - it will happen (my experience anyway XF,EA,EB,EB2,ED etc). Had my last one done about 2 years ago & was told that Ford don't officially recognise the problem so there wasn't a fixit part released (-then) but the local dealer here had seen it so many times they'd started making their own reinforcement plates. Jase_elxr8, give Gregory's Ford a call on 02-6267 1666 (Mitchell spares & paint), the guy's name was **** Munoz but I'm not sure if he's still there. Good luck.

P

·
0 Posts
Good luck buddy beeen theeer done that.They should have all been recalled.Before they broke....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx guys for all the info, i actually rang ford and no recall was established. The info guided from thinking it was just weak metal. But some love has been lost in ford, as i cant imagine this should be a prob. But anyways thanku ppl.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Hi All,

With this re-inforcement plate, does it have to be welded on? If so is there a way to fit this part on and or fix the pedal box without pulling apart the whole dash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the plate has 2 holes in it, so i suppose u could drill and bolt in, but cause i have a hole in place of the shaft i have to look at welding, (hopefully soon) get me a full respray with dj bodykit put on , sweeeet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts