Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to switch my old delapidated chrome pinstripe on my ED futura, to the red one like on the xr series. The local ford panel shop said around 350, a bit out of my range, so I'm looking at doing it myself. What I want to know is where can I order the new trim for the sides and bumpers, how to get the old off, how to put the new on, and how much it'd set me back (roughly).

Thanks for any replies
Donno

·
wants a manual!
1,461 Posts
you can buy new trim from ford but its no cheap. just search around a few wreckers and get some good condition second hand and put some new double sided tape on it. the old tape can be quite difficult to get off took me a while to do my chrome peices. than just carefully pull of your old striping by using a screwdriver and gently pry it off. then clean it with some prep wash and stick on the other moulds. should cost you between $50-$75 (for prepwash, tape and moulds)

·
Registered
17 Posts
i work in a panel shop and we take the old glue/tape off with a razor and prepsol but when using a razor keep it flat and try not to cut into the mould

·
E-Series wagon owner
1,929 Posts
i'm thinking of removing mine to paint em but wouldnt the screw driver ruin the paint on the car?

·
wants a manual!
1,461 Posts
if you do it carefully it wont. and besides if it does scratch it you wont see it anyway because you are putting the strip back over it.

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have a look at some wreckers, and see the panel shop, and ask them how much they'd drop the price by if I pulled of the existing trim myself and cleaned it up. I take the double sided tape is available from just a ford spare parts shop? And around $75 bucks for all the mouldings from the wreckers, seems a bit low considering a new single door trim costs $44 new (well thats what the panel guys said)?

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys.
Donno

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decided to try a cheaper route, and just paint the stipe instead of replacing it, since the old trim was going anyway it didn't matter if it was bodged. I carefully used stanley knife to remove the chrome foil covering, revealing a grey base, common on the eb's. I put on a coat of primer, then used some red paint I had over the shed, and crikey it looks ten times better! The red is far deeper, and fits the biscayne blue alot better then the orangey red on the xr series. I'll try this for the whole car tomorrow and let you know how it turns out. Unfortunately I don't have a digi camera for pics though, but I garantee you its a 10 times better finish. I worked out the total costs to be 8 bucks for tape and paint, not bad at all.

Donno

1 - 7 of 7 Posts