Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an EF fairmont with a six and auto which has run 16.4 but feels very sluggish of the line. I will shortly be replacing the diff gears for 3.7 (would these be the best as it does go on the highway a bit) and am considering changing the stall conveter (worth it or not?) plus the mods listed below. I'm after some cheap (free) improvements so for the next run lots of weight will be removed plus some premium unleaded and octane booster will be added. Will I get any improvement by adjusting the timing (if its possible) if so what would you guys recomend?

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
unless you get a chip its not possible to adjust the timing on your car.

3.7 should do well in an auto i reckon.

i dont know about the stall converter though- maybe wait until after you get a cam and see how it goes.

you can get a custom surecam for about 170 bucks, and i will fit it for you for not much $$$ if you like :D

also try stalling it up off the line - ie full power and full brakes until the light goes green, then just let the brake off.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is much difference between those cams and a crow cam except the price (about 350 for a crow cam)? Most places seem to give their cams a stage (1, 2 ,3 etc) what would you recomend? A uni-chip was also recomened by a friend, are these any good, or a waste of money on a mildly worked engine?

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
surecam will do you a custom cam, you tell them what mods the car has, what you are planning for it etc, and they will do you up a grind that they think will work best.

its a much better way of doing it than getting an off the shelf cam i reckon - more power!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
HSV.ETA, See this acticle here, about Stall Torque Converters, very interetsing indeed:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/09/converter/index.shtml

Now what you should know, is that the '88 Mustang they mention, yes its a V8, but its not EFI (im pretty sure) your EF has more power than it, so therefore you can expect better 1/4 Mile times as well as improved power, they got 13.9 quarter mile times off a stock engine, only with the gear change (diff) and the stall converter + shift kit (all that doesnt even cost much....)

The old '88 Mustang yanks are pretty heavy too, more than your six cylinder falcon...if you do similar mods, you could honestly expect at least a 13.5 or even lower 1/4 mile! That is damn fast man.....for a naturally asp. engined, with minor mods...you would be beating wrx's junk, and skyline junk!!

let us know what you think champ.

·
Registered
378 Posts
also try stalling it up off the line - ie full power and full brakes until the light goes green, then just let the brake off.
Not a very good idea in an auto, with a stock auto trans......even if you are using the gears, e.g. changing manually 1-2-3-D, unless of course you want to burn the clutch plates out....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for that info. I will go and see an auto shop and see what is available (and at what price). It feels as though it should get off the line a bit better if she could have a few more revs so the stall converter (along with the other recomended mods) should improve my times a fair bit. Does anyone have a shift kit in their auto's? If so where do you get them from and does it make any difference?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts