Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI CAN ANY ONE PLEASE HELP ME. My ignition barrel is faulty so i got another one from the wreckers. Installed it, every thing powers up. but engine will not crank over. Can some please tell me how to get another ignition barrel that will start the engine. or any other way around the problem.

·
Always the student
1,739 Posts
How have you verified its the ignition lock? Will the key turn all the way? Sounds like it may be the ignition switch located on the steering column near the brake pedal. Or, possibly the solenoid.
Or.... is this vehicle transponder equipped and you don't have a proper transponder key?

·
Registered
6 Posts
try holing the key on crank and bang under the steering wheel, if it shatrts your bcm is faulty.
works great as an imobiliser:priest:

·
Registered
917 Posts
HI CAN ANY ONE PLEASE HELP ME. My ignition barrel is faulty so i got another one from the wreckers. Installed it, every thing powers up. but engine will not crank over. Can some please tell me how to get another ignition barrel that will start the engine. or any other way around the problem.
google the problem as I remember there is a turn it on and wait built into the bcm , quite a long time

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your advice. i did as you said plugged it in and powered it up then waited for 30 minutes then came back and it started straight away. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yeah i want to know whats a BCM too ?

Ive got a similar prob with a FORD FAIRMONT 96 EF

I turn the ignition over & there's no click or even dash lights on? Im not sure whether its the starter motor but wouldn't there be some kind of dash light on?

Anyway, I had the "immobilizer smart lock" remote battery replaced as it was dead when i got the car & still it didn't do anything unless i am doing something wrong? I haven't got a manual for it yet, was told it could be the coil & I find it weird that only headlights/blinkers work. I found a red & green wire hanging down under the steering column, both with fuses encased in plastic capsules. Not sure where to start ?

thanks if any help posted.

94 ford fairmont, EF sedan

·
Registered
1 Posts
my ef fairmont wont crank with a new ignition barrel from the wreckers. is this a 'smartlock' thing.
how do i do the BCM "turn and wait" thing??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys,
You actually have to recode the key to the car, its like when you get a new spare key, it has to be coded in

If you tell me the year I will podt up the procedure
OH, by the way a BCM is a Body Control Module, one of several small computers that communicate with the main computer that allows you to operate your car, great eh, you pay for it and then it "allows" you to drive it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys,
You actually have to recode the key to the car, its like when you get a new spare key, it has to be coded in

If you tell me the year I will podt up the procedure
OH, by the way a BCM is a Body Control Module, one of several small computers that communicate with the main computer that allows you to operate your car, great eh, you pay for it and then it "allows" you to drive it.
how about for a 1989 Falcon? smart lock light flashes, dash lights on but engine wont turn over with replacement ignition installed. Turned ignition on and left it for an hour but still wont start the car

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,598 Posts
I am a little confused. Is this the same 2008 question or is a new question about a different vehicle? In any event, check the end of the ignition lock opposite the key entry where all the wiring is connected is not starting to come apart; this is the most common issue rather than a faulty barrel. Check extremely closely it may only have come out a few mm on one side and it will display similar symptoms to a Smartlock problem and initially the thump dash to vibrate the BCM dry joints start solution.

Check that all the relays in the cabin fuse box to see if their ground is good (continuity between earth and ground pins socket) and 12V supply is good.

See if it starts in your jump the two pins of the start relay in the engine bay by removing the starter relay and jumping pins (37 and 80 ) on the relay socket with the ignition turned to start (make up a short wire of sufficient amp rating with male spade connector at each end that you can plug in). Two man job one turns the key one jumps the relay and disconnect once started. If it cranks or starts its the BCM, ignition barrel or other wiring; if not more likely the starter but also check you have current between pins 37 and 80 with the key in the start position. Make sure the transmission is in neutral and nobody is standing in front of the vehicle (people have been killed jumping the start relay when the driverless car starts and moved forward)

Dry joints are common in BCM - reflow all the solder joints on the relays on the BCM PCB.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts