Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Phat Drift Damage Victim
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at purchasing a V8 at the moment and I was wondering if there is anything in particular that goes majorly wrong with the XR8 motors and things to look out for when buying one? I've had a look through all of this section for info but havent really found anything and seeing as I'm only familiar with the 6's thought it might be a good idea to ask before jumping in and buying the car straight away.

I had a look at it today and there was no obvious signs of oil leaks, coolant leaks etc, the motor was pretty dry, also I got to take it for a drive and the engine was nice and smooth, didnt hesitate and revved out nicely, couldnt see any signs of smoke either, it had pretty newish leads on it too. The car has travelled 180,000km's and had one owner which was a family. I've been told not to even consider a series I EF but this thing is pretty immaculate mechanically and he only wants $11k (mainly cos the paint is a bit rough but nothing major) so I'm very tempted.

So is there anything else I should have a look out for regarding the motor and what are the main concerns with these motors?

Thanks

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
I don't think theres really anything that goes wrong with them which stands out like 6cyl head gaskets or anything. The only think thats wrong with mine is the severe wallet lightning. Parts are exspensive and sometimes hard to come by. The one you are looking at has the worst heads and worst intake manifold. EL2 they started to wake up and AU was when they started to get a bit of decent power.

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
The engines are very strong and should easily do 300,000kms without any major problems. As with any car of 180,000kms, pay attention to the trans, diff and suspension etc.

As NZ said, like all E-series VB8's (exept EL2) they have crappy heads and intakes so don't expect more than around 190-200kws without changing them (if you are planning on modifying it).

·
Phat Drift Damage Victim
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys, I had a look at the redbook value and I might hit him up for less seeing as the paint is a bit rough. I'm seriously considering this one, the thing is fully optioned (sunroof, bodykit, cruise etc) and to top it off it's a 5spd and like I said I had a good look over it (I'm an apprentice mechanic) and mechanically it's pretty good, no noises from the driveline, not a drop of coolant or oil anywhere and the thing still felt tight and solid if you know what I mean.

The only mod I've got planned for it at the moment is the exhaust if I get it, don't wanna make it go hell fast as I only just started a good behaviour licence.

But anyway thanks again

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
You won't go wrong with it other than paying too much...
But thats nothing to do with car etc...
Even the AU,l's had E7 heads...

·
Phat Drift Damage Victim
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The T5 is pretty sweet at the moment, when I took it for a drive the gear changes were smooth and like I had said earlier it's not whining or making any abnormal noises.

I may not end up with this car now as the Bank is screwing me around getting the money too me and the guy selling the car is gonna trade it on a ute he's buying if I don't buy it off him this weekend.

·
Phat Drift Damage Victim
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just thought I'd let yaz know the bank came through and I'll be picking her up Saturday morning for $11k

·
Big & little v8's
11 Posts
the timing cover is a regular replacement item, comming in at around $750 for ford to do it. they seem to last around 100,000k's. mine died the second it ticked from 99,999 to 100,000, i shit you not.

other than that, they are a pretty bullet proof engine, much more so than the aussie I6, although far from exciting in stock form.

tranny could be good from anywhere between 180,000 - 250,000 or more, depending if cooler is fitted and how its been treated.

I had one stuff up on an old EF I6 at 180,000 but it had no cooler and it was an ex hire car and i also thrashed the hell out of it from day one - so much so, that i twisted the axel shafts.

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
Well done on the purchase.

Also, the timing cover's are usully only a problem if bad coolant is used or if the coolant isn't changed often, otherwise they will last pretty much for ever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts