Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have an EF which shutters when it idles. It as always had a small occasional shutter since about 100,000km but it never got worst. It now has 230,000kms and has developed a major shutter/shake as if it was dropping a cylinder. It still Ildes at about 700rpm.

I have replaced the plugs and leads which did not help.

What else should/can I look at?

Cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Check the head. Pressure test it, you'll have to buy a device from your auto parts store and plug it into each spark plug hole and start the engine. You'll have to get the correct pressures from a book or the net because I dont know them off by heart. But you'll be able to identify if any valves or seals are broken. Hope this helps. Cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi
Check your Oxygen sensor located at the Exhaust Manifold look down you see it,after 100,00 klm tend to give trouble and injectors tend to block up a bit cheapest way to clean is add injector cleaner+Octaine Booster into petrol tank and fill it up with petrol

cheers:driver:

·
Registered
14 Posts
ef_stalion said:
Hi
Check your Oxygen sensor located at the Exhaust Manifold look down you see it,after 100,00 klm tend to give trouble
cheers:driver:
Hi, My ef II has got the same problem, it has just clicked over 120,000K's How do you know if your oxygen sensor has packed it in??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replys,

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but it's just thrown a piston or a bearing somewhere in the engine, I'll know more when i start to pull it apart on the weekend.

Cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Whats the TPS? I have the same idling problem, shuddering idle and sometimes surging. ONly very intermittent though. Head gasket has been replaced, MAF cleaned (which made a big difference to power), plugs an leads replaced, and Ford dealer having trouble tracking down the problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Check the power steering switch or just change it . If this is faulty it will not idle.I did a fault code check and manual said to change.Fixed it.

·
1991 falcon fairmount
5 Posts
V8 EBII said:
Whats the TPS? I have the same idling problem, shuddering idle and sometimes surging. ONly very intermittent though. Head gasket has been replaced, MAF cleaned (which made a big difference to power), plugs an leads replaced, and Ford dealer having trouble tracking down the problem.
at the risk of sounding dumb whats maf stand for

·
FIGURE EIGHTS
19 Posts
Hi the Tps is located on the throttle body to control idle speed,ive replaced this before on a ef and it cured my erractic idle..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

It ended up being the manifold gasket on mine. Replaced it now its running like a dream.

Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts