Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone got any suggestions for an EF XR6 exhaust system? I currently have a 2 1/2 system, but it drones. It sounded good outside but in the car, forget it. I had to have a resonator fitted to quieten it down, but now sounds flat and tinny. Any recommendations on systems / makes of mufflers that sounds nice but without the drone. At this stage I am just looking at the cat back.

G

·
I have a 2 1/2 inch exhaust with one muffler just after the cat and a hot dog at the rear of the car,doesn't drone for me sound great to.After the muffler its mandrel bent but don't think it makes any differance tho.

G

·
Matt,

Did U go for one of the brand name sports systems? I had a Walker 2 1/2 system and same drone problem. Your best bet is to get one made from a place who know what they are doing and not buy off the shelf.

G

·
Matt,

Did U go for one of the brand name sports systems? I had a Walker 2 1/2 system and same drone problem. Your best bet is to get one made from a place who know what they are doing and not buy off the shelf.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Matt,
I had a 2 1/2 inch system made up to go on my EF 6 with a set of Genies by Carline at Liverpool.they left out one of the resinators leaving one and one muffler,
It sounds good, reasonably quiet untill you boot it then a nice note, and no droning at any speed.

BLU04L

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've got standard factory exaust on my AU vct and reackon it sounds really horny at around 3000rpm. I reakon those Broadmeadows fella's got it spot on first time. Don't know about the EF system though.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Matt,

I've just had a 2 1/2 inch. mandrel bend exhaust system fitted to my baby.
Sounds great in my opinion with next to no droan. A very very slight droan between 80-90km/h in fifth gear going up a hill.

The front half of the system is a Mercury with a hotdog just after the cat and a muffler. The rear is an ESA with a muffler just underneath the bumper. So all up it has 3 pots, i'm guessing my system is one of the quieter sounding 2 1/2 inch's around. But it still has that nice engine note under acceleration. When i got mine down i had a choice of 2 front setups and 3 rear setups.

My aim for the system was to get a better flow and more power that the stock without it being too loud and annoying as i think the engine has to dominate the sound rather than exhaust like the ricer boys.
Hope this helps..

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have just had fitted a Red Back 2 1/2 system and it dosnt drone at all .I also fitted the TE50 air intake from Ford which cost me $20 form my local dealer. Now I have a nice tone otu the back and loud induction noise above 3000 rpm in the front with better throttle response all round and this on my EF 4ltr.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

Thanks for the tips. I recently had Exhaust Technology (Adelaide) replace the original 2 1/2 inch Berkley muffler with a Magna Flow. It sounds great when driving at low revs, but I need to take it back and have the resonator replaced with a hotdog, as it still sounds a bit tinny when pushed.

G

·
hey matt,
keep your 2 and a 1/2 in exhaust.
get some genie extractors (or headers whatever u wanna call them). and a hi flow sports cat or a 2 and a half inch sports cat.

take out 1 muffer, leave 1 resinator at the back, your exhaust will sound like an 8 and you will *definately* feel the difference.

the sports cat (hiflow) is roughly $340, and resinator sometimes free if u can smooth talk otherwise $50-$80. and with that, you should be sweet.

otherwise without extractors, 1 resinator at the back, and 1 muffler, will sound and go smooth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts