Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The light keeps flashing on the EF1 Wagon, says in the book to take it straight to the local service department. Anyone got any ideas whats wrong? what goes wrong with them?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Have you tried resetting the computer?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not yet, are the EF's 10min resets? I thought I read somewhere they had been increased to 30mins from EF onwards.

·
European Member
84 Posts
Reseting won't do a thing. My mates car had the same thing. There is a part behind the airbag that I think gives feed back on wheel position. This is what the prob will most likely be and @ about $160.00 supplied and fitted I really hope it isn't for your pockets sake.

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
Ceck this bof:

in the fuse box there is a 10amp fuse up the top left corner marked "airbag". Id bet my left nut that this fuse is blown. If the fuse is blown replace it. To reset the airbag you need to bridge out the diagnostics connecter which is also in the fuse box. i will find the wires to bridge if that is blown.

What causes the fuse to blow???

Most of the time it blows due to loose, dirty or corroded battery terminals or a "spike" through the system such as alternator overload. Also will happen if your battery is going to die soon.

Check the above before replacing fuse.

p.s bof, youve got pm:s6:

·
Australian EF XR6 Member
155 Posts
According to the service manual, this light can indicate that the fuse has been blown by the self-test to prevent deployment. This happens when one of the sensors has developed a fault and is indicating that the bag should deploy while the self test is in progress.

The system normally needs two sensors to indicate that the bag should deploy before deployment can occur. The fuse is blown by the self test to stop accidental deployment. If one sensor has gone faulty and indicates that the bag should deploy, you would be left in the dangerous situation of only one sensor being required to deploy the bag. This is not a good look, and so the computer blows the fuse. (The service manual says this much more clearly than I have, but I don't have it with me..)

The important thing to note is that if the air bag light stays on, your airbag WILL NOT deploy, even in an accident!!

·
1 bad 302
963 Posts
Airbag Light

Must agree with Botch. I had the same problem and it turned out to be the fuse,which was a lot cheaper than taking it to a Ford dealer.

Jon

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info, I will check it when I see the car at Christmas.

Botch you have a pm.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Guys,

I have a el xr6 and I blew another fuse because I was fitting a security system.... I didn't have a spare so I borrowed the 10amp fuse from the air bag... Now that I have brought I new one the air bag light still flashes..... do I have to reset something??? any other ideas??

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
hmmm . . . i reckons I'd be dragging the car round to a ford dealer . . . Personally, i reckon mucking arond with airbags is bad news ( unless your really confident u know what yer doing ). They should be able to quote you on a repair before actually doing anything / costing you money . . . much better than accidentally blowing the bag and costing yourself a new one ($$$) :doh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts