Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah just wondering, i've heard that the EFi's in the XF's are pretty bad. IE they just fail and no auto electrician can fix it. Most people who own XF's stick to the 97kw Carby 4.1.
Just wondering have anyof you owned and XF Efi and had no problems.

:read: Just reading an old wheels mag, and they EFi'a are rated at 120kw. I reckon on of these with a five speed wouldn't go that bad.

G

·
0 Posts
I have never owned one but while I was waiting for the delivery of my XR8 I was givien a XF to drive around and I'd say it was an absolute pusser.
Never ran smootly so I reckon it wasn't far off from crapping itself.
One thing good about it made me appreciate my new car a lot more.
Anyway these days a lot of guys are dropping V8's in them.
:cool:

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
The EFI engines seem to suffer badly when the valvetrain dies. The OHV 250 XF engines suffer from bad camshaft and lifter problems. When they go they get noisy and eventually the valvetrain dies. I don't know if the computer can cope with the cylinder differences.

I had an XF EFI and it wasn't too bad. Not a goer, very thristy, but certainly reliable. Oil quality and regular servicing are the issues here. Thick oil kills them!

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was your XF Efi a manual??? Surely it must have more power that you can feel compared to the carby.

·
7,777 Posts
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
Was your XF Efi a manual??? Surely it must have more power that you can feel compared to the carby.
If you are talking to me mine was a Ghia auto. I believe the EFI engines are way better than carby. Noticeable difference in go factor.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pete,

Yeah i was askin about your car. Thats what i thought cause going in my mates previous car XF Fairmont with 3 speed i felt it could have abit more go.
Hehehe i guess if we're talkin about real go then an 8 under the bonnet is the go.

·
7,777 Posts
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
Pete, Yeah i was askin about your car. Thats what i thought cause going in my mates previous car XF Fairmont with 3 speed i felt it could have abit more go.
Hehehe i guess if we're talkin about real go then an 8 under the bonnet is the go.
Like I keep saying my little friend, you are merely playing around with sixes. For the real business the engine has to be bent and have at least four-a-side. WHich makes me think of how easily that V10 fits in a Mustang. Herrods had the burnout car there and it fits with room to spare. Maybe it will fit in AU2 easier than a 4.6.....

·
Australian ED XR6 Member
569 Posts
Have had some experience with XF X-Flows.
The efi 250 model ran a "warmer" cam than the carby model, the unleaded 250 had the "tamest" cam setup of the 250's. If u wanted to have the best of the "stock 250 gear" then fit the efi head onto an old super petrol 250
Fitting a 2 1/2" sports system + extractors can get them cracking quite nicely

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Building a cam to the Torana GTR XU1 specs works quite well in the 250XFlow apparently ....

·
Australian xr8 Member
82 Posts
How about fitting a o.h.c and box into it? With computor ofcourse.They should be cheap as one-tel shares at present!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
Paul E
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing