Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
300+rwkw DC LTD Member
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Now I'm fitting the GT40 upper and 65mm throttle body.

Do you think I can loose the EGR?
What's the difference?
Except legal reasons..

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
LTDHO said:
OK, Now I'm fitting the GT40 upper and 65mm throttle body.

Do you think I can loose the EGR?
What's the difference?
Except legal reasons..
Does the GT40 manifold have the ports for the EGR??? i didn't think they did... I know the AU's dont have them although that might be coz the GT40 heads dont have the thermactor ports...

G

·
You can lose the EGR if you like. Yes the GT-40 has the EGR port(must have this to be CARB legal).

You may notice a slightly worse fuel economy. The reason being that EGR will burn up any unburnt fuel still left in the exhaust gases. The EEC compensates by reducing injector pulse width and advancing the ignition timing to take up the slack for the less oxygenated air charge.
Of course the removal of the hot exhaust gases flowing into the intake can also increase torque.
The removal of the EGR plate effectively reduces intake tract length by about 1" which may result in a very slight, almost negligible reduction in low end torque. Of course you can pick this back up again by the use of a phenolic spacer between the upper and lower.
Depending on your engine you may also have problems with the throttle linkage being in a position where it could bind.

Personally I would remove the EGR, but that's because my main concern is performance.
What is your main concern?

Oh BTW a good ignition like the Crane HI-6 is a very worthwhile addition and will actually reduce hydrocarbon emissions to a level close to what is achieved with EGR. Also heave-ho that silly hotplate on top of the engine...it only serves to increase heat soak problems.

Pete.

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
since we are on the subject... I have mine still in place but have put a ball bearing in the vacuum hose which goes to the EGR valve stopping its operation. Atleast if Mr Plod decides to have a looksey it still looks like its doing its job.. ( not that many will have a clue what its for!!!!!!!!)
Brett

·
300+rwkw DC LTD Member
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what i did was open it up to 65mm, as there is plenty of meat in there. I want maximum performance but keeping it legal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts