·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, wondering how to set up an EGR valve on a straight gas XC 351,
Weiand Xcellerator manifold, Holley 750 mech secondaries throttle body
with an Impco 425 mixer on top?
Trying to keep all the emissions stuff to a LEGAL bare minimum, though
I've heard that the EGR can help with economy??
Car will go through an engineer for other mods (body,diff etc)
but I want to be 110% legal for rego and insurance.
Any advice??
Thanks, Will.

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
If I remember right you don't need EGR for gas powered cars. I could be remembering wrong though? I used to own a 1980 HZ V8 on gas. When I converted to gas all the pollution gear went out the window.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope so Brendon, I'll have enough vacuum issues with air con etc!
Just a note, I'm finding it hard to get straight answers from LPG places
as they're all concentrating on the newer cars and most are too young to
have driven a 70's car....Getting old and enjoying it better the second
time around!!
Will.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Will, I have a straight gas 351 XC. It passed an emission test easily with no EGR valve. It runs a lot cleaner than petrol, I was told when mine was converted that no EGR was not required for straight gas and rego has never been a problem without it.

·
Death by Ford
315 Posts
I'ts only a petrol thing, they used EGR's to lower combustion chamber temp by pumping exhaust gas into the intake manifold, something to do with lowering Nox emissions? LPG motors love oxygen, so pumping inert exhaust gas(no oxygen) into the intake of a LPG motor would not be good performance wise.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4vxc said:
Will, I have a straight gas 351 XC. It passed an emission test easily with no EGR valve. It runs a lot cleaner than petrol, I was told when mine was converted that no EGR was not required for straight gas and rego has never been a problem without it.
Hi 4vxc, were you tested in Victoria and how long ago?
I'm pretty confident I'd pass an emissions test, it's just that I don't know
the "RULES" for Re-registering a modified (engineer's cert) V8 conversion,
body mods and staight gas set up. If it's only an emissions test, then it's
cheap enough to get it tested till I get it under the limit. But if I'm obliged
to have certain factory emission hardware operational, then I have to be
alot more carefull, and I've read that the EGR set up helps with highway
cruising. I dont know...just asking the silly questions.
Thanks, Will.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Its my understanding that using LPG bypasses many of the rego rules.. for example using an old block in a new car.. that goes for emissions equipment too. LPG is great for passing rego, regardless of state.

·
Muffler Bearing
92 Posts
CLEVELAND JUNKY said:
I'ts only a petrol thing, they used EGR's to lower combustion chamber temp by pumping exhaust gas into the intake manifold, something to do with lowering Nox emissions? LPG motors love oxygen, so pumping inert exhaust gas(no oxygen) into the intake of a LPG motor would not be good performance wise.
no wonder all of my cars sucked! every car i have owned has had a line routed to the intake from the exhaust manifold (all were american gas burning cars)! i tore the one on my 89 mustang 2.3 apart and installed the gasket upside down to block the flow of the exhaust. not a HUGE improvement, but you could tell the difference. got i gotta move over there so i can get my hands on a good ford! LOL!

i got one thing to say: F#$% emissions!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Will, mine is in NSW, but when it was tested the guy said the emissions were about the same as a 6cyl petrol AU Falcon. Not to bad for a '77 351c.

Mustang 2.3??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
202 Posts
The guys are probably right in saying that you don't need the emissions gear for a straight gas car, but if you need to set one up, I had a bright idea. I've got to set up an EGR that at least looks to be functional, So am planning to tap a thread in a 2 inch alloy spacer I have sitting in the garage, and screw in a brass T piece. Should work and I'll get whatever benefit there is for running the spacer at the same time.

·
Death by Ford
315 Posts
Here are some links for PDF diagrams of Impco Gas LPG carbs if anyone is interested.

Main page > www.teecoproducts.com/Catalog/P2.htm

Impco 425 > www.teecoproducts.com/Catalog/PDF%20Files_Catalog/IMPCO/IMPCO%202006%20CAT-425%20Series.pdf

Impco 300A > www.teecoproducts.com/Catalog/PDF%20Files_Catalog/IMPCO/IMPCO%202006%20CAT-300A%20Series.pdf

Impco 225 > www.teecoproducts.com/Catalog/PDF%20Files_Catalog/IMPCO/IMPCO%202006%20CAT-225%20Series.pdf

Just right click on the link and use "Save Target As..." and download the PDF.
Might come in handy if you buy one of these carbs second hand.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, after doing a little research for myself, I can tell you that there is definately no benefit to having the EGR system in a straight gas car, you can do it, but it will only serve to decrease horsepower. Cold air induction of some sort is the way to go. As such exhaust crossovers in the intake manifold should be closed off/plugged up/etc. As to the legality of it, it doesnt take much to put it on temporarily for rego ;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
thanks for that cleveland junkie, does anyone know how the large nut which I think controlls flow on the back should be adjusted?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts