Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been having a problem with car being a little flat from a standing start so I had it checked out this week. mechanic said the EGR valve voltage was to high {fault code 36} & the valve would need to be replaced {$516 from Ford} does anybody know if these valves can be repaired or if aftermarket ones are available as i don't really want to fork out $516 if I can help it.

CHEERS
MIKE

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
There are no aftermarket ones available to my knowledge. You should either look through the wreckers for a second hand one, or you can just disconnect it. Lots of people have them disconnected because they run the intake cooler but it may have some side effects. Firstly it will throw an EGR fault code but thats nothing to really worry about. The main problem is that the EGR system helps run the engine cooler and stop pinging to a small degree, so if you do disconnect it make sure the engine is tuned well and you should not have a problem I think. It's amazing at the absolute stupid prices Ford put on lots of their V8 parts!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To disconnect it; is it just a matter of disconecting the wiring or do you have to disconnect the vacuum lines as well ?
CHEERS
MIKE

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks EDXR8 I'll disconnect it tommorow & see how it goes.
MIKE

·
2,784 Posts
I think you are right. If you disconnect the wiring then remove the vacuum line and block it off so it doesn't leak then it should be fine.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
I think its better to block off the ports in egr.Make a metal gasget that covers both ports. From what I understand the eec knows its been disconected and tunes around it making engine run sh!t, ping etc.By blocking it off epa doesn't realy know and eec doesn't either...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Disconnected the wiring this morning drove approx 50k's to & from work it's running great no more loss of power; was idling a little high after I disconnected it; backed it off A bit & it's idling fine now. It is pinging a bit under heavy load will running on premium stop this ?
THANKS
MIKE

·
2,784 Posts
Running 98 Premium will help. What is your timing set at? I would make sure it is set at the stock 30 degrees or even go back to 28 which should help with the pinging too.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked timing on friday it's set at 30 degrees; I'll fill up with premium & see how it goes
Is all premium 98? are some bands better than others ?
MIKE

·
2,784 Posts
I think standard premium is 95 octane, 98 octane will be marked. Either 95 or 98 will help.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Am now running on premium & alls good no more pinging it's running great again. thanks for your help guys
MIKE

·
Registered
262 Posts
The reason it's pinging is not because of the octane. Think about it this way.. The exhaust gas that the EGR was recirculating into your intake is now replaced by the same volume of fresh air.... The computer knows this when you are driving the car normaly because the oxygen sensors tell it so... When u accelerate hard the oxygen sensors are ignored by the computer and this makes your engine run lean cousing it to ping.... The only fix is to get the car tuned with the afftermarket chip or you can use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. By increasing the fuel pressure a touch you will inject a bit more fuel to compansate. When you drive the car under normal load the oxygen sensors will fix the Air/Fuel ratio and injecting less fuel by adjusting & reducing the injector pulse rate.... when you accelarate the oxygen sensors are once again ignored and that's when the regulator fixes the problem....

·
2,784 Posts
Its nothing to do with running lean, It may run slightly leaner but you will find that because the falcons are programmed to run rich anyway, there is still enough fuel going in. The way the EGR stopps pinging is that the exhaust gas helps to lower the cylinder temperature by absorbing energy from the combustion. Lower cylinder temps mean less chance of detonation.

Good to hear it's running well again. I would still suggest looking around the wreckers to see if you can find a second hand one, just for safety sake, but at least you're not forced into handing over $500+ to ford, what a joke.

·
Registered
173 Posts
victorian performance wharehouse sell power plus egr plates
not sure if they sell a 60mm but they sell 65-75mm for $99
try
vpw.com.au

·
2,784 Posts
The plate does not come with the EGR valve though which is what he needs, you have to reuse your own. They are just larger ones to match the larger throttle bodies they sell.

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
Did you try removing it & Cleaning the pintle as it get clogged with crap & can sometimes stick..

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Are the vacuum lines connected properly..
The egr does NOT work on WOT either..
But does prevent detonation on tip in throttle...
There is no performance advantage of removing it..
Check the delta pressure feedback senser on your drivers side
inner guard.Where vac line comes from...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts