Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone walk me through the manner of clutch operation on the a/c pump on an el wagon , it doesn't pull in and there doesn't seem to be any voltage being applied so how and where do I test things like the low preassure switch etc , Gregory's isnt much help
Tnx in advance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
617 Posts
The low pressure switch is usually inline with the clutch wire.Track it down,i'm not sure exactly where it is on EF but it should have power one side of switch or you could link the switch wires together and see if clutch cuts in.Hope that helps a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Pressure cut out switch is mounted on the TX valve, next to the washer bottle. It is a hi and low pressure switch. If you have no gas in the system, the switch will cut the power supply to the compressor. Unplug and bridge the 2 wires then check for power to the compressor. The ECU controls the power to the pressure switch depending on things like evaporator temp etc. My guess is the system has lost its gas. On an EL there are a few common spots that leak, condensor, TX valve o rings, evaporator and even the comprressor front seal. At work I use nitrogen to pressure check A/C systems, works well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
smally351 said:
Pressure cut out switch is mounted on the TX valve, next to the washer bottle. It is a hi and low pressure switch. If you have no gas in the system, the switch will cut the power supply to the compressor. Unplug and bridge the 2 wires then check for power to the compressor. The ECU controls the power to the pressure switch depending on things like evaporator temp etc. My guess is the system has lost its gas. On an EL there are a few common spots that leak, condensor, TX valve o rings, evaporator and even the comprressor front seal. At work I use nitrogen to pressure check A/C systems, works well.
Ok thanks will check in the morning as I had to drive across Brisbane to day and damn it was HOT and humid , if Im going to get that uncomfortable I would rather be doing somthing I like :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
atec77 said:
Ok thanks will check in the morning as I had to drive across Brisbane to day and damn it was HOT and humid , if Im going to get that uncomfortable I would rather be doing somthing I like :)
Made time and looked , early, no voltage on either the green black or blue wire on the preasure switch.... electrical diagram in Gregorys sux , either way its got voltage on the fuses so suggestions please ? ( no I wont burn it)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
atec77 said:
Made time and looked , early, no voltage on either the green black or blue wire on the preasure switch.... electrical diagram in Gregorys sux , either way its got voltage on the fuses so suggestions please ? ( no I wont burn it)
disconnect battery and check those individual wires with multimeter for continuity i.e. make sure they're not broke. Can be painful but may save trip to auto elec.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
northey said:
disconnect battery and check those individual wires with multimeter for continuity i.e. make sure they're not broke. Can be painful but may save trip to auto elec.
I dont believe the wires are a problem , I do wonder about the manner of temp sense in the cab , is it in series or // as in series if blown nothing would work ( now I have to pull stuff out I guess ?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
atec77 said:
I dont believe the wires are a problem , I do wonder about the manner of temp sense in the cab , is it in series or // as in series if blown nothing would work ( now I have to pull stuff out I guess ?)
turned out that the cab temp sensor looks bad , will be replaceing asap.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top