Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Underachiever in training
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all.

I am new to this forum and would like to find out something about engine immobilisers.

I am looking to get an EL Fairmont Ghia soon and would like to know how hard/expensive it might be to change the remote code/frequency for the car after I buy it as I would want to be the only guy with the frequency for that car and not the previous owner as well.
( personal paranoia :fraz: )

Is it easy enough? What's involved?

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
it depends what you want to do - if you want to have the only remote that opens the doors then i think you have to buy a new smartlock computer (not the engine computer) and then you can re-code the remote to suit.

then you would have to get your ignition barrel and door and boot locks re-coded so that they wont be able to get in with the key, and you will need a new key of course.

no idea on on price but i would put money on it being a bloody expensive proposition!

·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi rollin. I guess I should ask Ford as they would be the only folks to be able to supply said parts? Its a shame if it turns out to be expensive... I wonder whether other second hand car buyers worry about stuff like that? :hrm:

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
3,287 Posts
its the other way round. You reprogramme the BEM for the new key. Get a new smartlock remote from ford and reprogramme your BEM. Easy fixed/

·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Walkinshaw said:
its the other way round. You reprogramme the BEM for the new key. Get a new smartlock remote from ford and reprogramme your BEM. Easy fixed/
I'm too new to car bits to know what a BEM is/does. Can you explain a BEM to me please?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts