Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ford Nut
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having my dreams of getting an EL XR6 manual shot down by rip off insurance companies (im 19 and wanted nearly 4K a year, bugger that) i have decided to get an EL Fairmont and whack a 5sp tranny in it.

has anyone done this to an el or ef fairmont before?
what type of manual tranny was used in the el's?
how much can i expect to pay for all the parts (tranny, clutch, flywheel, computer etc) from a wrekers?

any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

nath

also, does anyone know where to get a hydraulic clutch kit for a falcon?

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
1. Its been done, FordFan351 actually put a V8 and Manual in his EF Fairmont. Its no different to those doing manual conversions in Falcon's etc.
The T5 was the manual used in the EL's but prices can vary a lot. Your main problem would be the computer as Fairmont never came in manual so there was no manual fairmont ECU, but u can trick the auto computer to make it run a manual fine anywya :)

·
EB wagon
932 Posts
I would think the manual EF falcon ECU would work? If u could find one i spose...

Brent

·
Ford Nut
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why couldnt i use a xr6 manual ecu?

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
EF manual ECU won't work, the EF ECU won't even plug in :p Don't see any reason why you couldn't use an EL XR6 ECU though....
You could even use an EA box, the ratios are slightly different but it'll bolt straight in. The only thing 'm not sure about is the EA pedal box - don't think that will fit but I could be wrong. Cost for an EA kit is about $1k from most wreckers that I know, or $1700 installed.
See the Tech section for a tutorial, I'm pretty sure I put the auto computer fooling trick in there.

·
Serving Defect #3
1,108 Posts
Yeah I used an EF XR8 ECU, only prob, it blew the Fairmont BCM after only a couple of months, which cost a pretty penny to replace, now 2 months on with the new BCM I still have my fingers crossed that it won't lunch another, but no gurantees.

The bottom line Fairmont BCM's(high level)are not compatible with lower level ECU's this includes XR8/6's or any other model really. I suffer hunting idle on a consistent basis even with the new BCM, sometimes my wipers don't work, sometimes the car just plain won't start(smartlock failure)

I spoke to pretty well every Workshop Foreman, in pretty well every Ford dealership in Adelaide and they all said to plug it in, cross your fingers and hope the computers download successfully. Mine did, for a while.

They said the only manual ECU that will fit up to a high level BCM(without ongoing issues) is an EL GT manual ECU as the Gt is fairmont based, good luck finding one tho as most wreckers look to keep the engine computer with the engine as it is easier to sell as a package.

In terms of parts used I was lucky I had a complete donor car(EF XR8) to strip the bits I needed. You will find however the conversion process is not as hard as it sounds, everything is there ready for a manual to fit, right down to the whole in the firewall for the clutch cable. It is time consuming and expensive though whether you do it yourself or have someone do it for you so don't budget for a cheap job or you will run outta cash real fast. Look to source a conversion kit from a wrecker, this will include all the bits and pieces you need in one go rather than chasing parts during the conversion which again will only cost you more money and prolong the process further.

When my conversion was done all be it with purchase of the donor car and a new exhaust and preparing the car to show standard(you wouldn't beleive the amount of cans of gloss black I bought) I had very little change outta 10K and I didn't pay 1$ for labour.

Do I regret it....not for a minute!

Second hand T5's can be a gamble as well, they are well known for input shaft bearing wear, the unit in my donor car lasted 21 days before it blew so badly the only part used in the rebuild was the extension housing. Also make sure you get a T5 from an EF or EL otherwise the shifter position may be out of alignment with the whole in your transtunnel. It would also be a good idea to look at a 3.45 lsd as the 3.23 in the Fairmont's will prolly have you sitting under 2K at 100kmh in 5th which is bad for the long term durability of the box. Oh yeah use Castrol TransMax Z in the box as well this will also help out with durability.

Hope this helps, let me know how you progress, I am happy to assist in any way possible.

Regards

Daniel

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Yeah try to make sure you can drive the box....EATdust just had a nasty experience with his s/h box - turns out the input shaft was broken!

·
Ford Nut
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whats a bcm?

·
Serving Defect #3
1,108 Posts
The body control module, it control all your accesories, smartlock, power windows etc

It is positioned behind the dash to the left off the drivers footwell, actually pretty easy to get to.

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
3,287 Posts
EF and EL BEM's are not compatable btw guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts