Ford Forums banner

81 - 100 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Dude I think you need to invest in a new book that Ellery's is the biggest piss fart waste of time out there, I reakon it's cause it covers the six and eight that it is sososo bad.

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
6pAc|30nG|00n said:
Dude I think you need to invest in a new book that Ellery's is the biggest piss fart waste of time out there, I reakon it's cause it covers the six and eight that it is sososo bad.
I'd really rather not fork out the hundreds that the ford manuals cost. If I can't get the info elsewhere, I'll just have to figure it out.

·
Registered
847 Posts
What i meant was another brand of spank monkey book ie haynes...

·
Registered
847 Posts
Supercheap have haynes, Repco have ellery's Autobahn???? just got to do a few runs to find one, heck even Kmart sell them.

·
Registered
847 Posts
BTW I cracked up over ur sig so serious then slapped with soon to come and me thinks mmmm whats he up to and its wiper blands lol.

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
6pAc|30nG|00n said:
BTW I cracked up over ur sig so serious then slapped with soon to come and me thinks mmmm whats he up to and its wiper blands lol.
Glad you like it!

I'll have to have a look around but I do remember having lots of trouble at supercheap and Kmart. Can't remember whether I tried autobahn. I got my Max Crapery's from Repco.

So no one can help me with my engine coolant temperature sensor problems (locations, differences)???

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
It has 2 sensors as one is for the guage and the other is for the ECU.

The coolant sensor for the guage is in the lower intake manifold, passanger side near the front.

The one you have found is for the ECU.

Actually I have found conflicting info regarding which one is which. Try unpluging one and see if the guage is still working, that should tell you.

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Yeah martin, I've had a play with it and the one on the drivers side bank at the front is for the guage as disconnecting it results in the temp gauge going troppo (ie increasing into the red). taking the other plug off (the one on the passenger side bank between and down a little from the front two injectors) does nothing to the gauge.

Oh and another thing. Are the EL and AU windsors different with respect to the sensor size and position? This EL temperature sensor I've bought (part no in post above) seems smaller than the holes that my current sensors are screwed into. Also my new sensor has spade terminals and a rectangular plug whilst my current ones in the car have circular terminals and a circular plug. Could I have an AU block / heads?? The car was made in 1998 (June???)

There is a recess in the top of my thermostat housing which is the same width as my new temp sensor. If it were drilled and tapped it seems like it would would be a perfect position for the sensor that I've bought. Thoughts???

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Wouldn't you know it, the AU part is exactly the same as the part I've got (F5AF12A648AA) In fact insead of using the more expensive part as the 2nd sensor, the AU just has two F5AF12A648AA's

... so as the tree said to the lumber-jack, I'm stumped.

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
Ok. I have had a peek into the dusty oily tome that is the "EF Falcon Workshop Manual".
On the EF's (I'm pretty sure will be identical to the EL's - it has been in 99% of stuff I've done so far), there only seems to be one coolant temp sensor. That is the one at "the right front of the lower intake manifold". From what I can make out of the diagrams, (and a quick look at the car), this is the one in the coolant pipe, just past the front of the upper intake manifold (roughly between fuel rail and oil filler).
The other sensor I think your looking at (into lower intake manifold, slightly back and right from the dizzy, when standing at the front of the motor), is the intake air temp sensor.

Judging by the diagram, the coolant sensor runs direct to the ecu, and I can't trace any sensor that runs to the instrument cluster independant of the ecu - which I think kills the 2 sensor idea...

I would slap the Ford guys round a little more, and clarify if the second one is indeed a intake air temp sensor - it would explain the price difference. Heh, don't be afraid to try another parts dept - some of the parts guys I have spoken to have no clue. (as an interesting aside, a part interpreter (which should be what the guys manning the parts desk are), once tried to convince me that jap cars are left hand drive :p )

**edit**
Oh, both of the connectors (for air temp and coolant temp) on my EL 8 are circular (although ever so slightly different).... If they've given you one with a rectangular plug, I'm suspicious they've given you the wrong sensor...

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
<font size=140> AHAAAA! </font>

AWESOME! That's exactly my conundrum! They've given me a rectangular plug version and I've got circular ones in my engine. I've just gone out and twisted the sensor around with a spanner (a fair bit larger than one that you'd use on the new sensor) and part number is F2AF12A648AA NOT F5AF12A648AA

I'll have to ring up ford equipped with this new part number. How difficult can things be!

Cheers XR8 Lamah, you're a champ!

·
Registered
86 Posts
How about if your problem still persists, remove the fuel filler cap whilst it's sitting in the sun and see if that makes any difference. Maybe your fuel tank is pressurising and flooding the engine somehow?? Is there any fuel smell when it plays up?

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
EAO WORM said:
How about if your problem still persists, remove the fuel filler cap whilst it's sitting in the sun and see if that makes any difference. Maybe your fuel tank is pressurising and flooding the engine somehow?? Is there any fuel smell when it plays up?
Nope no fuel smell, and once running the performance is flawless. Wouldn't the fuel pressure regulator (which has been replaced) keep the pressure fairly constant?

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
It turns out the sensor that is in my car is the 6cyl sensor F2AF12A648AA. It's also used in F series, XF, EA, blah blah... and maybe windsors!

My question is now, do I use the part that should be in the V8 despite the fact that I'd have to CHANGE to plug on the wiring loom or should I just replace the part with the same one. Surely it is meant to be there if the wiring loom accommodates it!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wouldn't the fuel pressure regulator (which has been replaced) keep the pressure fairly constant?
Not being familar with the fuel line plumbling on your model I thought there might be a possiblilty of it coming back up the return line or something silly. It's a pretty easy a free test to do anyhow.

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
EAO WORM said:
Wouldn't the fuel pressure regulator (which has been replaced) keep the pressure fairly constant?
Not being familar with the fuel line plumbling on your model I thought there might be a possiblilty of it coming back up the return line or something silly. It's a pretty easy a free test to do anyhow.
You're right mate, a very cheap and easy test, I'll give it a go.
Also for those interested the 6cyl version of the engine coolant temp sensor is also referred to as Part No 6810428

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I think it could be ECU related.

Cause ive installed an aftermarket ECU on mine and has fixed the problem. (im 99% sure)

I know we have different engines but the symtoms are exactly the same.

81 - 100 of 170 Posts