Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Board Members,

I have an EL Futura 1996 which just stopped dead while running.

• Ignition cranks
  • No spark
  • No pulse
  • No fuel pump (from relay)
It appears to be an issue with the BEM which is blue.

- Key On, Off, On isnt displaying any smart lock error codes. Eg: No flashes at all.

Any advice would be great!

·
Super Moderator
3,653 Posts
Check the plate where the wires go into the ignition opposite the ignition key barrel has not come adrift or is starting to do so. Is interior light globe OK; if not it's integral to the Smartlock circuit and will need to be replaced to start the car. I would suspect the coil; if there is no spark the ECU will also turn of the fuel system to prevent damage from unburnt fuel accumulating and killing the or causing a catastrophic back fire or similar. If you have a noid light put it on the wire that goes from the ignition to the coil at the coil and see if it flashes when you try to start. If so the put an earthed spark plug with gap as large as possible at the distributor end of the HT lead that goes from the coil to the distributor and see if it sparks; no spark means dead coil. Also check the self tapper earthing screw for the ECU near the base of the A pillar is tight and has not come loose. Does bashing the dash near the BCM with side of your clenched fist make it start; if so that usually means a relay in the BCM has a dry solder joint. also check the 30 amp engine fuse has not blown.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Would a dead coil also cause no injector pulse and stop the fuel pump from priming?

Also note: the EL Futura has a coilpack.

·
Super Moderator
3,653 Posts
Would a dead coil also cause no injector pulse and stop the fuel pump from priming?

Also note: the EL Futura has a coilpack.
Hmm most EL's have (indeed all should have) a single coil; the earlier EF models ran the EDIS (Electronic Distriborless Ignition System) system with the coil pack. As the EDIS system in the EF proved troublesome Ford reverted to the single coil and TFI distributor with the EL and then returned to an improved EDIS system with the AU model. In any event, all the info you need is in the factory workshop manual here: https://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=11291862 Let us know if you indeed do have and EL with EDIS and if was factory fitted or someone has swapped in an EF or AU motor and/or ignition system. Note 1996 was the year they went from the EF to EL models; so perhaps some EL's got left over EF engines. But check the compliance plate as swapping the EL nose/grill/bonnet etc onto a EF was not uncommon and is very easy to do for those simply wanting to make their car look more modern or more concerning even to sell an EF as an EL which used to command higher prices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm. Im unsure.

When I got the car I had to get a new coilpack to get it to run properly. I figured it was EL due to the BEM being blue while always refering to it being EF. For this reason I know it doesnt have a distributor.

I'm waiting for my account to be activated on the .au forums to see the link you kindly provided.

I figure if the fuel pump relay and pulse are disabled due to a faulty coil I can be 99% sure what to replace.

I have limited cash and no tools so I have to get a mobile mechanic out to perform tests for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts